• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor Tepin and Jolokia

This is my first attempt at growing peppers. I currently have two Tepin and four Jolokia plants. Lost quite a few due to spider mites. They are growing under two metal halide lights and a fluorescent grow light. Both the Tepin and Jolokia are starting to flower now. I think that I waited too long to transplant the Bhuts and they got rootbound. The large Tepin was started in the pot that it is in here. I'm looking forward to having some peppers and making some good hot food.:)
peppers122010.jpg

Surely those Bhuts are not rootbound...how long have they been in those pots?...they look like what?...3 gallon pots...

Don't get too anxious with the tepins. They take months to ripen. I've had green pods form in July and they didn't turn red until December.

Surely those Bhuts are not rootbound...how long have they been in those pots?...they look like what?...3 gallon pots...

I had them in 6" pots for quite a while. All of the plants in the picture were planted on the same day. The large Tepin was planted in the pot that it is in now, but the rest were in smaller pots for what I think was too long. they were all root bound when I transplanted them. I think that I stunted their growth... They are in 12" pots now.

...seriously, those are some really nice looking plants! I'm really jealous of your set up.

It would only cost you about $200 and a closet to replicate my setup.

The two MH lights are just security lights from Home Depot. The Fluorescent light is just an Aquarium\lizard light.

security lights: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

aquarium light: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 -- any ballast will work.

I am getting ready to cover the walls in mylar space blankets to reflect more light. I would also like to add a High Pressure Sodium bulb to get the lower end 2500K spectrum covered better.

:Edit:

I forgot to mention that I also have a light timer which can also be purchased from HD (or any hardware store for that matter) for around $8.

Just got some Mylar up on the walls. I am adding a fan for some air circulation tonight as well. Hopefully this will make up for the lack of wattage in the lights.

mylar1.jpg

mylar2.jpg

oops... I accidentally dropped a light on my large Tepin...
oops.jpg

I added a HPS light to the grow setup. The plants have all been transplanted into 5Gal containers. All of the plants two of the Bhuts and both Tepins are starting to flower. They really seem to like the HPS light. The Habanero plant that got infested with aphids and lost all of its leaves is even starting to come back. :)

20110112small.jpg

I had to make an emergency trip out of town and the peppers didn't get watered...:mouthonfire: I lost almost all of the flowers from all plants. However, they did enter another vegetative stage and have grown quite a bit in the last few weeks. IMO they should have been bigger before beginning to fruit anyway. It is still another 4 (minimum) months before they could live outside in this area. The hit to the power bill hasn't been as much as I expected.:)

plants-2011-2-7.jpg

I never seem to have problems with all the pests indoors. I just leave every spider I can alive and they seem to eat all the evil bugs. I'm amazed how many of my friends who have pest problems tell me they kill the spiders they see. Hell, they even bite me sometimes. Some people pinch off the flowers for a while to get the plants bigger to get higher yields anyways... so maybe the flower drop will work in you favor this time.

How many watts are you running? Do you have any fans running? Indoor gardening is so cool when it's all cold and nasty out! I wish I had more money to run a few thousand watts and fill a whole room for fun.

My setup is still fairly low wattage. I have 2x 100Watt MH and 1x 150Watt HPS. There is a small fan which is mounted to the wall that circulates air around the area. I'm not sure where the spider mites came from, but the aphids were definitely introduced. I have rid myself of all but the little flies that came in the potting soil. They have been resistant to all of the (non-chemical) control techniques that I have tried so far...:crazy: They don't seem to be harming the plants any though.

Back