• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Infestation on my ghosty!!!

hey there,

I think i have bugs on my ghost pepper :(

can  anyone tell me what they are and what i should do?

if i knew how to post a pic, i would. 

They small little clearish bugs. close to the soil

Hate that site, I think they are white fly.

I have excactly the same on some of my plants, for the past week or so I have

been using neem oil mixed with a little soap and it seems to be doing the trick!

Def aphids. The best thing I found so far for that is Fox Farm's Don't Bug Me. Knocked em right out for me earlier this year. Also there are natural predators such as lady bugs that help a ton. I like to carefully pick the infested foliage off and then spray.

PepperDaddler said:
Get Ladybu
ya, i think the problem is that the peppers are in 3 gallon pots on my deck which is up a story from the ground.

The ground doesnt have grass yet (new subdivision, moved in  a month ago). Total lack of pollinators and lady bugs. 

I guess i have to get ladybugs from a local garden/greenhouse ?

take 1/4 gal. of boiling water and cut up abt 10-15 cloves of garlic into it. Let this mixture  sit overnight
and spray it on the plants. Most lil critters dont like the smell of garlic

Greetz,

Oli

I got mine from ACE. 1500 for $9.99. Or order online for the same price. It is easier than it sounds.

51P7DvTCIwL._SX300_.jpg

Just keep going with the soap solution spray.  You will need to re-apply it every few days to kill newly hatched aphids until the infestation is crushed.  Keep in mind that they may quietly return (with the help of ants in some cases).

Wow, everyone is so great with replying and information. Many Thanks. :)

Update: :!:

I ceased all watering and sprayed them down well with soap 3 nights ago as suggested :clap:  

The next morning, the plant showed very little sign of improvement so I decided (on my gut feeling) to trim all leaves that were mid to heavily infested, including 2 or 3 secondary "branches" that were close to the soil and were easy prey for these bugs breeding down below the soil.

Then that night we had a cold snap. It went down to 10C and windy..

I came back from work and my plants looked like they had been hit by a nuclear bomb :fire: . - Prob 50 percent of the leaves fell of..

The pods are still ok but there are hardly any leaves left on the plant. And all of the bugs are gone.

Its kinda bittersweet: bugs gone but i think the plant is dying.

Any tips or suggestions on what to do? I would like to take these two pots inside this fall and get afew more pods off them if i can becasue im lovin the peppers these things produce!!! when should i bring them in?

Most assuredly, Aphids.

Insecticidal soaps work by stripping the aphid of its cuticle layer. That essentially dehydrates the aphid because it can no longer retain moisture.  Plant leaves also have a cuticle layer that retains moisture. Some plants are thicker than others.

It is possible that the cuticle layer was stripped off the leaves causing them to die off, depending how much and the time of day it was applied. I would be very surprised if you don't see a new flush of leaf buds in about a week.

I had an infestation on my indoor plants in the spring this year.  Tried soap solutions without success.  Then found info on diatomaceous earth.  Killed them in almost 24hours. DE is Organic so you don't have to worry about pesticides and such. 

Back