• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Information Overload!

I Have been looking all over the net trying to find an easy way to make a mash without have to go to 32 store's to get whats needed. Here's what I have done. I have a mixture of peppers from Anahiems to some sort of Habanero's even peters in the mix, I have run them thru a food processor and added salt but not sure if there's enough since I don't have a scale to weigh it all out. I also have High BP like Rocketman but was unsure on the amounts of Whey to use and not having the ingredients for the Sourdough method. Do I need to any liquid to cover the pepper's like a vinegar or water or will the salt pull enough moisture out in time.
Thanks for he help
BA
jarsalt.jpg

20120917102426.jpg

mash.jpg

Guessing by the pictures use 2 tablespoons salt and 1/2 cup of whey from some active yogurt close it up and you should be gold. Are you going to add anthing else or just the peppers?

I did shred carrots and added that as well to aide in feeding the "yeast or bacteria". i put in much more salt than the 2 tbsp. already. The way I see it is if I eat McDee's fries I can add some salt to the mash. :shh: .
I put a paper towel (in place of Cheese cloth) over top of the jar will that do the trick to get the free airborne stuff?

Thanks again.

If your not going to use a starter, I'd just close it up and let it go. There are going to be wild lacto on the peppers themselves without having to go chasing some down. Well, unless you par-boiled the peppers before putting them in. The more you leave it open to air, meaning O[sub]2 [/sub]the more of a chance the it could go bad. The salt wil protect it and you probably have enough salt in it to protect it for a wild fermentation till the lactobacillius take charge. Now if it'e too salty or you just want to get some of the salt out of there when you process the final sauce there's an old trick my Grandma taught me. Just put a raw potato in the pot while it's cooking. It'll soak up some of it.

OK so it's been a little while now and I'm getting some white funky growth in there. Is this what it's supposed to look like? And if so what next, how long to wait?

Sorry for being such a newb this process is all new to me.
Thanks for the info.

20120924105508.jpg

does it not need liquid in there?

It looks like you have a Kahm yeast in there and it's not harmful but is a side effect of an open fermentation. If you had put a lid on it it most like would have been fine. Yes there should be at least enough liquid to cover all of the mash. What you have looks more like a dry mash which is kind of like a Sambal Oelek just peppers and salt and you allow the salt to draw out the liquid from the peppers and the natural Lacto on the peppers to start the frementation process. You can remove it and let it continue but add more salt water to it and put a lid on it loosely to allow excess CO2 to escape but tight enough to keep air and any nasties from getting in.

Cheers
RM

Alright thanks, notice the jar in the top pick it has one of those wire snap lock's on it and I do have the gasket inplace and lid snapped shut so I cant figure out how it's got the "open fermetation" look to it.
I bought the jar @ Ross for $3.00, I couldn't really see spending $18.00 on a Ball Mason jar.

Thanks for the info, I'll scoop out the funk and add salt water.

Oops, sorry dude, after review several of these in a row they sometimes get overlapped in my head. Still, that's waht it looks like and I have had it in a few of mine most likely somehting that was on the peppers when I processed that i didn't get washed off. Still no harm done in there.

Oops, sorry dude, after review several of these in a row they sometimes get overlapped in my head. Still, that's waht it looks like and I have had it in a few of mine most likely somehting that was on the peppers when I processed that i didn't get washed off. Still no harm done in there.
I totaly understand, Being a Mod on a cb radio forum you get to the point where you just kinda scan the page looking for something to grab you.

Thanks tho.

Ok I still have this stuff going but now it has taken on a new not so good look to it.
dscn0219qo.jpg

At this point has it become a total loss or is this a normal look for it. I never did see a full on bubble like the stuff was gasing off real good, I seen a slight bubbling effect but they were just sort of suspended in the sauce.
Thanks

Yea, you can't look at fermenting veggies the same as brewing. Brewing will usually have a full on assult when the yeast get going and the bubbler goes crazy. Veggies are a bit more laid back. It looks like you have some Kahm yeast in there which is not harmful. When you get ready to process the sauce and open the jar, just remove it and process as usual. You could remove it now but you'd be loosing the protective co2 layer if you do which increases your chance of a bad infection.

i had the same thing happen and just let it go on like he said a natural process.. you could have prevented it bay adding more acid based liquids like lemon juice or vinegars.. i used limes since i have a lime tree..

It looks different than the last time, not as white and powdery.
I made the mistake of opening it last night (figured it was bad), should I go ahead and scoop the stuff out and add some vinegar and/or sugar to the mix?

I just went to work for a pickle, salsa and pepper processing plant. I wish I could get their secrets but they use alot of salt and vinegar but I also see bags of xanthin gum stuff and some other stuff I cant remember at the moment.

How do you know if it has gone bad? Whats the tell tale sign of Bad FUNK?

Back