• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Information Overload!

First off, you guys are amazing. What started as a plan to sprout a couple plants inside with some dirt and miracle grow has changed quite a bit over the last couple weeks, lol. Down the rabbit hole...

Anyways, here's my next part of planning - I'm going to have a whole bunch (100+) of these per GIPS recommendation:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-grey-fabric-pot-3-4-year/root-pouches

Am currently using Promix HP indoors and feeding with CaNO3/MgSO4/Masterblend dilute per the recommendations in my old thread.

First question: approximately how big can I expect plants to get in bags of 3/5/7 gallons?

Second: Recommend to me your best mediums for outside container growing. Stick with the Promix HP? Or is there something that might work and be a little bit more cost efficient at scale? I am open to mixing up some of my own conditionally: MINIMAL steps (2 or 3 parts), NOT a bunch of stinky organic crap (can't piss off the misses).

Third: I can calculate volume for purposes of ordering stuff when the time comes, but what is listed on paper versus volume in practice is probably very different - the 3.8 of Promix I have fluffed out to take up MUCH more space. How much of your recommended medium for each, say 5-gal bag?

Love you long time!

approximate based on my grow, i just stick with 5 gals as they work well in rows. it will depend on how long your growing season and other stuff aka this list is not gospel. also different variety will have different habit. say putting medusa in 10 gal wouldn't matter plant would still stay small.
3 gal = 3x1ft
5 gal = 5 x 1ft
7 gal = 5 x 2ft
10 gal = 6 x 2ft
15 gal = 7 x 3ft
50 gal = 8 x 5ft

promix + perlite is good all throughout life.
or can try coco + perlite.

promix / coco is compressed bale so yes it does fluff up. so use the fluffed up for volume calc. Then know I won't fill the pots to the very top and roots take up a little bit of room. so i usually only calc 4 gals of mix for 5 gal bag

also root pouches are a bit expensive so i use poly bags.

Last time I grew in containers with promix + perlite I tried having 2 plants of the same variety with 1 in a 5 gal bucket and the other in a 10-15 gal root pot & the biggest difference I saw was in how frequently I had to water the plant. I expected there to be a bigger difference in plant size based on pot size but I guess it doesn't matter as much as long as you are growing in a soilless substrate & feeding liquid nutes instead of relying on the organic matter in the substrate to provide nutrients. I wouldn't go smaller than 5 gal bucket though unless you want to be watering twice a day toward end of season when the plants are full size. 

Also I believe the 3.8 cu ft bales of promix fluff up to approximately 7 cu ft

I don't remember the exact ratio I used but I think it was something like 20-30% perlite but I was using Promix BX not Promix HP. Promix HP is "high porosity" and already has a good deal of perlite in it I believe so you may not need to add any to that. 

The more perlite you add the faster it will dry out & the more often you will have to water. 

Back