• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

insect id needed

These things seem to be holding some sort of meeting on one of my plants, specifically on an ornamental pepper i really don't care too much for. Any ideas as to what they are?

012.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

rds040800 said:
From what I have been able to find, they are milkweed bugs, and are of no concern unless I am growing milkweed.

Doubt it, this is a milkweed bug.

large_milkweed_bug_001.jpg

Your bugs look like giant aphids of some kind, very weird... I'd try posting the images at bugguide.net, you should get a reply in 10 minutes or less.

Yup, they're milkweed bugs. They grow the wings over time, but start life looking like what you've got there. Maybe they think those pods are milkweed pods?! :lol: They'll soon find out different if they hit the placenta with those stilettes!

FiveStar said:
Maybe they think those pods are milkweed pods?! :lol: They'll soon find out different if they hit the placenta with those stilettes!

Only mammals have capsaicin receptors, so they wont notice a thing even if they chew on bhut/naga placenta.

kilobit said:
Only mammals have capsaicin receptors, so they wont notice a thing even if they chew on bhut/naga placenta.

Boo you ruined my day dream! I had these critters doing cartwheels and stuff.:(

Back