• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media inspecting seed in peat pellet and had a problem

I'm using a Jiffy kit and I've got several peppers already germinated and I've been digging around in several other pellets and several more are on their way...just haven't popped out yet. I'm 1 week into the start.

However, I'm a bit concerned about my poblanos. I started two pellets with three seeds in each...snipping them if there are multiple per pellet. Of the seeds I found, they are getting larger and swelling in side. My toothpick accidentally broke the husk of one and a milky substance came out...what the heck is that stuff?? Are they goners?

Don't get impatient with them. Let them sprout out of the media on their own. The one you poked is probably dead.

What all are you growing? We can give you an idea how long they will take before breaking ground.

Its a good thing to use a toothpic to loosen up a pellet before you place a seed in. Its a bad thing to use a toothpic in a pellet after the seeds are planted.

I did loosen up the pellets once they expanded with a fork.

So far I have a tomatilla, three Santaka peppers, two okras, two Anaheim, and four burpee "red Caribbean" (which I've read is a red hab). I have yet to come up, some poblanos, some jalapeno, some burpee mix peppers, some zuchinni, some sweet banana pepper. I know that I'm a week in, so I have another week or so.

Back