• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

introducing myself and my new pepper garden

Hi guys,

i've been lurking for a while now reading everything I could about different pepper types, ways to grow peppers, over-wintering, etc and figured I would just start a thread to introduce myself as well as my very pathetic pepper garden.

My name is Crawford and I'm in NE Atlanta (near the Marietta square for the locals) and after everything I've read from this forum, pepper-guru specifically, I'm really excited to increase my collection of pepper plants. As of right now, I have a jalapeno, a habanero, and a bell pepper plant (along with tomatoes and herbs). They are all small and I got them all from Pikes in march. I'm sure this isn't ideal, but i didn't know where to start, so there ya go. I have them in normal, painted pots on my back patio, but I'm planning on having a section of the yard devoted to a garden next year. My wife and I just bought our first house (new construction), so this first year has been mostly getting an idea of how we want to landscape and trying to plan how everything will be laid out next year.

With all of that being said, I do have some questions.

1. My Jalapeno is just starting to produce peppers (pods? is that what we call them here?) and they all seem to be corked. Is this normal, bad, good? I'm guessing this is due to the extreme rain we've been having here in the south.
2. All of my peppers (mostly jalapeno) have brown and holy leaves on them. It's not every leaf (maybe 1:15?), and seems to be near the bottom of the plant. It also doesnt seem to be bugs as Im not seeing many bugs and I sprayed with an organic bug killer when the plants were young. Maybe I need to retreat? The peppers are unaffected as far as I can tell, by whatever is hurting the leaves.
3. When should I pick jalapenos? Unlike the other peppers, which will tell me by changing colors, I really have no idea. They seem much smaller than Jalapenos that I see at the store and yet all of my peppers seem to be stuck at around the size of a quarter and are mostly round instead of elongated.
4. I've been thinking about starting a few peppers in my office. I have an old T5 light from a reef tank sitting unused and it grew coral, if I get the proper light spectrum bulbs, would I be able to grow a plant that produces peppers inside?

I will add photos when I get home as I'm having trouble getting the photos from my phone to my computer

I look forward to meeting everyone and can't wait to learn

:welcome:

1. Pods yes, corking is great
  2. Pictures would help identify the root cause
  3. Large and green is normal but for a completely different experience let them ripen to red
  4. While it is possible it depends on many factors

Welcome-

I pick red for chipotles and green for mostly everything else - no doubt jalapeños are my favorites.

f3ga0Q3.jpg

2Mv3Pn5.jpg

SedoTQr.jpg

Welcome aboard! 

Plenty of GA growers in here and lots of extremely knowledgeable and helpful folks from across the globe.  Good luck with your grow and hopefully we'll dry out soon enough.

Welcome.

I am fairly new as well (and also a reefer).

I too am going through Bacterial leaf spot - so much rain.  There is an active thread in this forum you may want to follow.

Welcome aboard, and read up on Dave's Bacterial spot thread he mentioned.

And to start with, you may want to spread those plants out, and keep those leaves as dry as possible, at all times except for rain of course. Then apply some of the treatments mentioned in the thread.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the tips and welcomes guys. I've removed all of the leaves with issues and also gave the plants a good shake to knock water off the leaves. I also heard that agitation ups the capsaicin levels :).

Ill try and get some photos of my first pods coming in so everyone can see.

Cone9 - what kind of reef? Mixed? SPS? Give me some details. We are in the process of setting up a 120g mixed reef

Back