• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Introduction and chilli update

Hi guys, so this is my first propper post. Just thought I'd share some some photos of my peppers so far. Everything in the green trays was planted 17 of jan then pricked out on 4th of feb. Smaller seedlings were planted on the 2nd of feb. Think I put a bit too much sand in the mix and had a problem with them drying out a bit too quick, a top dressing of vermiculite seems to have solved this. I've got a 300w cfl which is about 12" above the plants. Pretty happy with how everythings going at the moment, the cotyledons on the rocoto's have started to die back slightly so im not sure if thats a problem? Also on a couple of the orange wonders there seems to be a bit of purple pigmentation or something else, I'll get a pic of that up and see what you guys think.

Albertos Locoto
Ohnivec,
Gelbe Kirschen,
Black Hungarian,
Carolina reaper,
Orange Wonder,
Chocolate Habanero,
Bulgarian Carrot,
Red Savina Habanero,
Loco,
Sparkler,
Spike,
Stumpy.

Chillies latest by beano wallis, on Flickr

Black Hungarian
60217_145748 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Orange Wonder purple leaf??
20160217_145713 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Rocotos cotyledons?
20160217_145540 by beano wallis, on Flickr

gelbe kirschen and black hungarian
20160217_152949 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Rocotos
20160217_152900 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Carolina reaper and ohnivec
20160217_152929 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Don't worry about the lower leaves on the pube ... they will fall off and when you pot on next you can pot right up to the base of the lowest leaves ... all looking good

I thought they were the same but I wasn't sure thanks! Anyone got any advice on the particular varieties I'm growing? I heard the rocoto's are fairly hardy so might give the surplus ones a go outside if we have a half decent summer. The carolina reapers are growing a bit slower than the rest but I guess thats to be expected?

Hi guys I thought I'd post an update of my chillies progress so far, most seem to be doing alright, as I've potted things up and run out of room I've given away the surpluss plants to a friend with a large polytunnel and unfortunately he had quite a few deaths due to an unexpected hard frost. The rocotos seem to have survived the best (it dropped to -4.7 in there with the heater on!!). Everything in the grow tent is going well, I've experimented with a diy co2 enrichment thingy as I've been reading a lot about that, I guess it couldn't do any harm? Not really sure if I've been feeding enough as I didn't want to over do it, anyway have a look and let me know what you think  ;) 

20160319_103225 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Black Hungarian I topped early
20160319_163119 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Rocotos and carolina reapers
20160319_162833 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Little topped rocoto
20160319_163721 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Second lot, seeds planted 2nd of feb. bulgarian carrot, chocolate habanero, 4x seaspring seeds compact annum varieties (loco, stumpy, sparkler/spike(birdseye varieties))
20160319_163812 by beano wallis, on Flickr

topped rocoto
20160319_163713 by beano wallis, on Flickr

Black Hungarian
20160319_163658 by beano wallis, on Flickr

WoW! What an awesome garden! It must keep you quite occupied. I like your Rocotos. I have a few seedlings started of them as well as other varieties.

Back