• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Introduction transplanting seedlings from tissue

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, decided to sign up as I found alot of useful info here. =)

I have some seeds in wet tissues which have germinated. They have the white stem coming out. How early do you transplant to soil? Before the seed cover falls off the first two leaves? Or after? Any tips would be great! =)

Getting under way early this year in Melbourne. Second year I have grown chillis, absolutely loved last year, especially my Naga Morich and Orange Habanero I have the following seeds on the way this year:

Trinidad Scorpion,
Naga Morich,
Aji Amarillo,
Bih Jolokia,
Thai Chilli,
Aji Lemon,
Red Cayenne,
Jalapeno,
Chocolate Habanero,
Black Peal,
Orange Habanero,
Fatali,
African Birdseye,
Manano Rocotto,

Also have a Naga Morich which is being overwintered. Its doing great in the ground with some plastic protecting it from the frosts. Was over 4 feet tall in a pot and heaps of scorching pods before I cut it down and put it in the ground.

Cheers

Welcome from Brissy, Mitch!

:welcome:

Sorry mate, can't help ya on the paper towel/tissue germination method though, as never done it myself. However, there are plenty here who swear by it, and I'm sure one of them will chime in soon! ;)

Thanks junglerain! =) Yes Geelong is great, I go to Torquay a bit! Go the mighty cats by the way! ;) Ill transplant them now! =)

Cheers

:welcome: Mitch

If you want to see what happens when JR grows some chilli peppers then take a look at this pic from his 2009 thread.
I don't think he will mind me posting it.
anotherhaul.jpg

oh and that is one days harvest

Once the stem is long enough i put it into a jiffy pellet in a chinese food containter put some water inside and close the clear lid and put it on a sunny window sill and wait for the leaves to come. I do it that way or i jus wait for the leaves to come out in the moist paper towel. I like the 1st way better even though its more work but it works for me.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, decided to sign up as I found alot of useful info here. =)

I have some seeds in wet tissues which have germinated. They have the white stem coming out. How early do you transplant to soil? Before the seed cover falls off the first two leaves? Or after? Any tips would be great! =)

Getting under way early this year in Melbourne. Second year I have grown chillis, absolutely loved last year, especially my Naga Morich and Orange Habanero I have the following seeds on the way this year:

Trinidad Scorpion,
Naga Morich,
Aji Amarillo,
Bih Jolokia,
Thai Chilli,
Aji Lemon,
Red Cayenne,
Jalapeno,
Chocolate Habanero,
Black Peal,
Orange Habanero,
Fatali,
African Birdseye,
Manano Rocotto,

Also have a Naga Morich which is being overwintered. Its doing great in the ground with some plastic protecting it from the frosts. Was over 4 feet tall in a pot and heaps of scorching pods before I cut it down and put it in the ground.

Cheers
I've had great success with cotton ball starting. I got little 4" square pots and planted my seeds once the plant starts emerging from the shell. I left a few in too long and the roots grabbed too much on the cotton.

I've had great success with cotton ball starting. I got little 4" square pots and planted my seeds once the plant starts emerging from the shell. I left a few in too long and the roots grabbed too much on the cotton.
I might try the cotton ball method. So far using the paper towel/tissue I have had a heap of germination, most from the african birdseyes.

However the jiffy pellets on a heat mat have worked very well with 3 aji amarillos, 4 thai chillies, 3 african birdseyes and 3 orange habaneros rising :party:

Back