• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is 45 too cold

Supposed to get up to 45 here tomorrow with sunshine. Was thinking of putting my plants out for a few hrs to soak up some sun. Is 45 too cold to have them out for a few hrs?

In my opinion, too cold. Lack of growth due to the temperature is probably going to outweigh any benefits from increased light.

If it was closer to your plant-out date, I would say go for it since hardening off takes so long.

45 definitely won't kill them, so give it a shot if you like.

Thanks, originally it was supposed to be in the low 50's and figured that would be ok. When I seen that it was mid 40's I though I better ask those with more experience that I. I think they will be staying inside this weekend.
They are doing pretty well where they are at under the lights so will just keep them there for another week.

100th post woot woot :dance:

General rule of thumb is not to let the roots get below 50F on a sustained basis. Fully mature plants can handle a bit of time below 50F, but new plants most frequently have a problem with it. If you're only going to leave it outside for a tad, fine, but if you're going to leave it out for hours, I'd suggest you wait. I'm in N.E. Ohio, and I assure you I'm not putting anything outside yet.

General rule of thumb is not to let the roots get below 50F on a sustained basis. Fully mature plants can handle a bit of time below 50F, but new plants most frequently have a problem with it. If you're only going to leave it outside for a tad, fine, but if you're going to leave it out for hours, I'd suggest you wait. I'm in N.E. Ohio, and I assure you I'm not putting anything outside yet.

Nothing is going out on a perm basis yet, was just thinking about setting them out for a few hrs this weekend. It would only be maybe 2-3 hrs. I think I am just gunna wait till next weekend when it is supposed to be in the 50's

Same as Atomic here. I say it also depends on the maturity of the plants. Mine already have about 5-7 sets of leaves. I believe those temps will be harsh for younger seedlings or more difficult to adapt.

,Vegas

I am planing to put my plant tom. for an hour or a couple it will be 55? its going to be their first time. is it too risky?

I am planing to put my plant tom. for an hour or a couple it will be 55? its going to be their first time. is it too risky?
I'd be worried about a few hours in direct sun over 55 degrees. I have had mine out the last few days and no issues. I am bringing them in at night due to the rapid swing of temp and dips into the 30's.

I'd be worried about a few hours in direct sun over 55 degrees. I have had mine out the last few days and no issues. I am bringing them in at night due to the rapid swing of temp and dips into the 30's.

Have been doing the same with about half of mine so far. Had then out every day since wednesday last week, except for Saturday. Bring them in at night just to be on the safe side

Mine out in the sun on occasion with temps in the low 50's.
Of course, as they are in black pots in black trays, the roots never get that cold.
I usually try to harden off starting the process in partial shade and light breezes, but no chance of that this year----started too early.

It's really a watch and wait game.
In full sun, watch till they just begin to stress, then bring them back in.
Reason being, it takes the roots longer to cool off and heat back up.
You don't want the roots and the greenery stressed out at the same time.

Every day it will take a tittle longer.

This week, temps are in the high 60's, I leave them out for 6 hours---and they are a bit stressed after.
But after overnight inside, they are recovered, and go out again.
If they don't fully recover, and still a bit peckish, I still put them outside---but in the shade if temps allow.

My situation is-----I started too early, and will have to put them in the ground a month earlier than planned.
Can still get frost till early June.
Ordered a "portable greenhouse" and bought a heater to extend the season, as 2' tall plants in 3.5" pots is a bit beyond design capability.

But, I have my overwinter plants inside a real glass and wood green house, with only a single heat lamp on a thermostat, and my remote sensor on the plot for the current season shows soil temps already in the 90's by noon.

The real greenhouse keeps the temp above 50 even when it's covered in snow (2 weeks ago) but the big plot with plastic greenhouse is an unknown.
I can still get a week or so of freezing temps before June.

thanks! I did put them out for 2 hours on the shade and 15 min direct sun! that 15 i did not turn my eyes away from my plant haha! tomorrow same weather I will do the same but maybe 30 min of direct sun.

Had mine out again lastnight and will do the same again until plant out, as long as the weahter is nice and will go a few more hrs on the weekends. Have noticed a huge groth spurt, not sure if it is because I am leaving them upstairs in the kitchen where it is warmer or putting them outside for a few hrs. I was bringing them in and taking them back down to the basement where it is a bit cooler.
If it is because of the warmer temps upstairs I think I will be making some room for the rest of the plants to come upstairs until plant out.

This is a great thread....lots of good first hand experiences. Mine have been taking 5 hrs of Sun a day well in 5 gallon containers with mid to high 60's/low 70's for daytime temps. I started the seeds indoors in Jan/Feb tho so they are reasonably aged. Nighttime lows are just dipping above and below freezing around 30-40 degrees so I've been bringing them in the garage at night just to be safe.

I really think I'm gonna get a greenhouse it would be so much easier to leave them out this time of year then.

it was 55 high again earlier and i gamble my babies, 2 hours of direct sunlight but i covered them with a thick plastic so it wouldnt be to harsh for them and will trap some heat insited the enclosure. 55 is still cold if the wind blows. so i had to check them every 20 min.

Left mine out the other night to fight the high 30's (didn't realize it would get below 40) and they're still kicking. I wouldn't reccommend doing that a lot but as long as it doesn't frost they'll probably make it through.

Back