• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is 800 lumens of CFL enough to grow some superhots?

I want to grow some Chocolate Bhut Jolokias in my closet, and I found a 13w CFL with 800 lumens in a cabinet. Would this be good?

No. A light that small might be enough to get a couple of seedlings started, but they will need more light very quickly.
Dang. How many do you recommend? I was planning on buy an 80 watt. Would this be good?

I have a 2' x 4' table with two 42 watt and one 23 watt cfls over it. That seems to be enough so far. There are about 40 pepper plants and a small lemon tree on it. They would like more light, but they're growing pretty well. We'll see how they do in the next month or so until they can go out.

One plant in a closet should manage with an 80W cfl. It may struggle and it may not produce pods though. It would certainly be enough if you were going to put it outside when it got big. I think what is considered minimum is 3 or 4 of those. Then again, I have a pod on one of mine and it's at least a foot and a half away from a 42w and a 23w and two feet from the other 42w. That plant is no more than 15 inches tall though, I doubt it would be too happy when it gets 3 or 4 feet tall

Maybe a widow and use the cfls as supplemental light? I suppose you wouldn't be planning to use a closet if you had a window available though. Or maybe if you keep it in a smallish pot and don't let it get big? Lots of light and lots of space is what it's supposed to need but I've always been a fan of trying things in ways that aren't supposed to work.

So I guess the short answer is that if you can get more light you should. If you can't I'd say it's still worth trying, just realize that that plant will want to fill the closet and one 80w cfl won't do much for it if it does.

I have a 2' x 4' table with two 42 watt and one 23 watt cfls over it. That seems to be enough so far. There are about 40 pepper plants and a small lemon tree on it. They would like more light, but they're growing pretty well. We'll see how they do in the next month or so until they can go out.

One plant in a closet should manage with an 80W cfl. It may struggle and it may not produce pods though. It would certainly be enough if you were going to put it outside when it got big. I think what is considered minimum is 3 or 4 of those. Then again, I have a pod on one of mine and it's at least a foot and a half away from a 42w and a 23w and two feet from the other 42w. That plant is no more than 15 inches tall though, I doubt it would be too happy when it gets 3 or 4 feet tall

Maybe a widow and use the cfls as supplemental light? I suppose you wouldn't be planning to use a closet if you had a window available though. Or maybe if you keep it in a smallish pot and don't let it get big? Lots of light and lots of space is what it's supposed to need but I've always been a fan of trying things in ways that aren't supposed to work.

So I guess the short answer is that if you can get more light you should. If you can't I'd say it's still worth trying, just realize that that plant will want to fill the closet and one 80w cfl won't do much for it if it does.
Dang. That's a shame. I don't have any good windows for it. I'm in AZ, so I guess I'll just have to keep it outside.

I got mine started with two 10watt CFLs at 800 lumens each, and while it's not enough to grow big plants it should get you going.

Mine where in a box lined with mylar though.
I have seen CFLs that out 6400lumens though.

You need more lumens. I can start seedlings with 5,000 lumens indoors, but to grow superhots indoors, I now have 25,000 lumens which is enough to grow peppers.

You need more lumens. I can start seedlings with 5,000 lumens indoors, but to grow superhots indoors, I now have 25,000 lumens which is enough to grow peppers.
Dang! What's your light setup?
That seems like a LOT of lumens. 25000 is like 5 80 watt CFL's and I'm planning on just growing one in my closet. Seems like a little bit of overkill.

Check it.

8479845039_090229775c_b.jpg

8480939838_46e7b9875f_b.jpg

57600 lumen diy setup

You might get some baby peppers but I wouldn't think it would get you much. Growing under 120W CFL right now and the plants seem to be doing fair. 

I use a 400 watt HPS or MH bulb/setup. The ballast, bulbs, and fixture cost me around $150, but the energy cost is about $40 more per month.

If you are in AZ, I would suggest building a frame with PVC and putting a shade cloth over it and place the plants under the shade cloth. Keep them in a place without additional shade and you should have some monsters. And the shade cloth will keep the temps within reason.

If cold at night is a problem, you could always spring for a heat mat to keep the soil warm....

I use a 400 watt HPS or MH bulb/setup. The ballast, bulbs, and fixture cost me around $150, but the energy cost is about $40 more per month.

If you are in AZ, I would suggest building a frame with PVC and putting a shade cloth over it and place the plants under the shade cloth. Keep them in a place without additional shade and you should have some monsters. And the shade cloth will keep the temps within reason.

If cold at night is a problem, you could always spring for a heat mat to keep the soil warm....
Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking about doing that for winter with some plastic sheeting, but that's a fantastic idea. Thanks!

trevonator said:
Dang! What's your light setup?
That seems like a LOT of lumens. 25000 is like 5 80 watt CFL's and I'm planning on just growing one in my closet. Seems like a little bit of overkill.
My light setup:

I can't find pics to link to now.  I have a 4 bulb T-5 (4x5000 lumens) on top of the plants and a 1 Bulb T-5 (5,000) lumens bulb hitting them on the side.

I have two 4 bulb 2 ft t5s that claim 10k lumens a piece. I get good growth with those and got a few pods last year also. Once the rest of my seedlings are outside both fixtures will be used for my hydro bhut.

Back