• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is a Brown & Chocolate Hab the same?

I am growing peppers that 1 is labeled as Brown Hab which I got the seeds from TGS and Choc Hab that came from a member here. Are they the same Hab?

Brown Chinenses aren't especially rare, and most are referred to as "Chocolate" or "Brown". it's pretty hard to actually tell which is which, but the fact is the possibility of having two different chiles is very likely.

Unfortunately, there are many different brown C. chinense species labelled as chocolate or brown "hab" and most are likely congos.

Lol. I am always impressed by potowie's lack of animosity.

I see another "hab" post and think that P is going to bring down the hammer, but he never does.

(not that this thread is in any way in the wrong, the word habanero is way overused, I cite the many useful posts of Potowie as a reference,;))

Some seed companies sell both Chocolate and brown so I'd think there is a difference.
Some sell Chocolate brown,Chocolate and Brown.
What I've noticed mostly was a size difference and the amount of pods different ones put out.
But that seems to vary between seeds from different companies too.
I guess it boils down to "You get what you get". LOL
You just gotta force yourself to grow them all. :)

smokemaster said:
:mouthonfire: I'm growing both!:mouthonfire:

Man! this Summer is gonna be a hot one LOL:hell:

smokemaster said:
Some seed companies sell both Chocolate and brown so I'd think there is a difference.
Some sell Chocolate brown,Chocolate and Brown.
What I've noticed mostly was a size difference and the amount of pods different ones put out.
But that seems to vary between seeds from different companies too.

Got some chocolate hab seeds from a vendor last year....can't recall which one. They were the last peppers to mature, and the peppers were HUGE.....the biggest of my harvest. Not sure if they're really browns, chocolates, or Congos.......but they had great heat, were huge, and had great flavor. Whatever they were, I'm growing them again this year.

I grew some chocolate habs last year and those things were HOT and had a great flavor though. Made some sauce out of them and it was great. The pods were really nice size also produced very well. Good Luck it will be interesting to see if they are the same

My Chocolate c chinense were huge, hot, flavorful, and pumpkin shaped.

Other chocolate or brown pods I have seen were longer and less round than what I grew.

Yeah, I too was wondering about the brown/choc habanero thing. I decided to grow the "Jamaican Hot Chocoloate" variety in 2009 and got my seeds from TGS.

Seems like "Jamaican Hot Chocolate" is a pure marketing for a brown habanero. Of course could be wrong here, too, as a relative newb to peppers.

Is the JHC a distinct variety of brown habanero? Maybe a geographical varient?

PeteyPepper said:
Yeah, I too was wondering about the brown/choc habanero thing. I decided to grow the "Jamaican Hot Chocoloate" variety in 2009 and got my seeds from TGS.

Seems like "Jamaican Hot Chocolate" is a pure marketing for a brown habanero. Of course could be wrong here, too, as a relative newb to peppers.

Is the JHC a distinct variety of brown habanero? Maybe a geographical varient?
Honestly I'm not there is even a brown Habanero at all. brown Chinenses are popular, but it does not mean all are Habaneros. they are "Habanero-type".

Whether or not its a "real" hab may be up in the air but I was just wondering if the brown and chocolate are the same thing whether they are a hab or a congo or anything else for that matter

Well I don't know what are the exact peppers you got, but there are different brown Chinenses. most are labeled as "Chocolate Habanero" or something, so it's even possible to get two different chiles labeled under the same name.

Omri said:
Well I don't know what are the exact peppers you got, but there are different brown Chinenses. most are labeled as "Chocolate Habanero" or something, so it's even possible to get two different chiles labeled under the same name.

Yeah that's kida what I was thinking as well. I'm gonna grow both Varieties separately and see what they are. It could be interesting. I also want to save the seeds from both. I think both will be really good peppers and in fact I actually have higher expectations out of these than I do my Nagas, Bhuts etc for some reason. I guess the flavor is good and smoky tasting from these varieties?

Back