• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Is a fish tank ok for seedlings?

Well, that is definitely much better than the clip on you were initially planning to use. Difficult to confirm if it is enough without specific output info of the light. What is the wattage and lumens information on the LEDs.

CAPCOM said:
Well, that is definitely much better than the clip on you were initially planning to use. Difficult to confirm if it is enough without specific output info of the light. What is the wattage and lumens information on the LEDs.

um. I have no idea. no light expert that's for sure. But I will take a shot.

5630 shows about 45-50 lumen per.
33 leds per strip (in my set up)
4 rows = 132 LEDs

132 x 45 (to 50)= 5,940 (6,600) lumens.

Thats about as much as I know

if that's enough, i guess google will have to help me with that part. 

I'm sure I won't be the only one with this approach to lighting: I start of with what I think might be enough then add more if I find the plant starting to look leggy. Indoors I use a combination of LED & CFL so adding more is pretty easy.
As for wife agro, you're going to get it about something so it might as well be chilli's - at least she can see that they're doing something vaguely useful ;-)

I'm housing my plants in a large terrarium until spring. Also i use it as a germination tank, where i pour water in it, put a aquarium water heater to bring up and keep water temp at 30-32 C so the soil has the ideal temp for germination... all continers  with seeds are floating on the water.

in my opinion and years of growing peppers, i found this solution as the best one...

Rossi said:
I'm housing my plants in a large terrarium until spring. Also i use it as a germination tank, where i pour water in it, put a aquarium water heater tu bring up and keep water temp at 30-32 C so the soil has the ideal temp for germination... all continers  with seeds are floating on the water.
That's actually a good way to get around the cold problem.

yeah, because in Croatia is to cold at night till april/may (under 10C) so until then, all plants are under lights in terrariums indoor

I re-purposed a 20g long tank from a coral frag tank to a seedling grow out vessel. I originally was using 3 24w T5HO bulbs on this setup and it was working pretty well, except for the dampness from watering the plants.

I then decided to use a 70w MH set up over it. I had a ballast laying around that I purchased on Ebay for about $10, after digging that out, I bought a cheap ($12 at Walmart) 500w halogen shop light to use as a fixture. I mounted the fixture to the bottom of a scrap piece of MDF, then the ballast to the top, followed by a strap of aluminum for a hanger. I also took a piece of the aluminum and made a mount for a small computer fan that clamps to the top end of the tank and powered it with a leftover 12vdc wall charger.

With this setup any excess water will evaporate quickly, plus once you find the sweet spot for mounting the fan, it will get all the seedlings moving to hopefully strengthen the stems. So far it is working great and I was able to repurpose some stuff I had laying around.

Yes it does look great. But, you will need to initiate your 1st transplant very soon and the larger solo cups in equal quantity won't fit in there. Start planning now for your expansion setup.

CAPCOM said:
Yes it does look great. But, you will need to initiate your 1st transplant very soon and the larger solo cups in equal quantity won't fit in there. Start planning now for your expansion setup.
I haven't ever tried to grow a pepper from seed and didn't think I'd have as much success getting them to germinate. Lucky me, they all popped and I plan to only keep 4 of these plants. I'm hoping to have new homes for a bunch of these in the next week.

Back