• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

Is a pepper a fruit of vegetable Poll

Is a pepper a fruit or Vegetable?

• Yes it most definatly is a Vegetable

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • I can't Decide

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I will Show you my proof with science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes it most definatly is a Fruit

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters
So by this rational you would consider the pine-cone a fruit??? :scared: You could sweeten that up all you like and put that in a pie but I would still refuse to call it a fruit :rofl:

Yeah. And despite the fact that it is "made up" language, it's also part of the vernacular. Every word we use is "made up". Some are just more precise in their execution than others. e.g. "Pepper" is so insanely misused in the context of what its original meaning was, that this forum shouldn't exist. :)

But yeah. "Pepper" plants bear "fruit".

So by this rational you would consider the pine-cone a fruit??? :scared: You could sweeten that up all you like and put that in a pie but I would still refuse to call it a fruit :rofl:
Well, you can go ahead and try to find all of the "exceptions" you want to disprove what I said and laugh about it, I'm sure there are more than a few more oddball plants out there. Go ahead, have at it--have fun. But technically, there are both male *and* female conifer cones, and a fruit is: "the ripened ovary or ovaries—together with seeds—from one or more flowers." And more specifically, the ovary is a female plant part. So no, obviously a pine cone is not really a fruit. I don't know much about pines specifically, and honestly don't care about them, their cones, or their seeds. But I can say that many botanical nuts are technically fruits, as are sunflower "seeds". Not to mention many things that people call "vegetables" (besides peppers).

Well, you can go ahead and try to find all of the "exceptions" you want to disprove what I said and laugh about it, I'm sure there are more than a few more oddball plants out there. Go ahead, have at it--have fun. But technically, there are both male *and* female conifer cones, and a fruit is: "the ripened ovary or ovaries—together with seeds—from one or more flowers." And more specifically, the ovary is a female plant part. So no, obviously a pine cone is not really a fruit. I don't know much about pines specifically, and honestly don't care about them, their cones, or their seeds. But I can say that many botanical nuts are technically fruits, as are sunflower "seeds". Not to mention many things that people call "vegetables" (besides peppers).

Just having a bit of fun... I didn't realise it was this serious .... sorry back to the most important of topics....Chilli's are they a fruit or vegetable or flesh wasn't it ??? :rolleyes:

By the way I am allergic to peanuts but they aren't technically a nut at all as they are a legume... I think a legume is technically a vegetable ....which is in turn a fruit.... so long story short no matter what some legumes are known as nuts... nuts are fruits and some fruits are nuts but vegetables they are not.. ...

so I would prefer if you didn't mention nuts or legumes here as I don't care for them as they are a confusing and allergy inducing topic....

right back to the fruits and nuts :whistle:

Just having a bit of fun... I didn't realise it was this serious .... sorry back to the most important of topics....Chilli's are they a fruit or vegetable or flesh wasn't it ??? :rolleyes:

By the way I am allergic to peanuts but they aren't technically a nut at all as they are a legume... I think a legume is technically a vegetable ....which is in turn a fruit.... so long story short no matter what some legumes are known as nuts... nuts are fruits and some fruits are nuts but vegetables they are not.. ...

so I would prefer if you didn't mention nuts or legumes here as I don't care for them as they are a confusing and allergy inducing topic....

right back to the fruits and nuts :whistle:

No! Legumes are neither a fruit nor a vegetable! I read this today! Crazy, ain't it!?

So you are saying that a common garden pea and the peanut are not fruit??? That's just nuts ....

lol. Ah. Good stuff.

And no. The garden pea (if eaten in the pod fresh) is a vegetable. The peanut, however, is not. Nor dried beans, cowpeas, etc., etc.

They are pulses.

No, really it was just that you seemed serious to me. I knew there were some oddball exceptions, but in general, what I said is *usually* true. Again, I know there are some weird species that do not work that way though.

By the way I am allergic to peanuts but they aren't technically a nut at all as they are a legume... I think a legume is technically a vegetable ....which is in turn a fruit.... so long story short no matter what some legumes are known as nuts... nuts are fruits and some fruits are nuts but vegetables they are not..
Hey, I don't blame you on that one. While I'm not allergic to peanuts, I think they suck. Can't stand 'em. But beans and peas... those are awesome. I'll take some "real" nuts over peanuts anyday... walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios...

lol. Ah. Good stuff.

And no. The garden pea (if eaten in the pod fresh) is a vegetable. The peanut, however, is not. Nor dried beans, cowpeas, etc., etc.

They are pulses.

Actually it's the other way around - if you eat the pea in the pod it's a fruit, but if it's out if the pod it's considered a vegetable.

Peapods are botanically a fruit, since they contain seeds developed from the ovary of a (pea) flower. However, peas are considered to be a vegetable in cooking.

just to throw a little gas on your argument. :rofl:

Back