• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is anyone growing a banana plant?

Oh yes, in fact they do survive our climate, as long as the corm can have some time to establish itself, and get quite large.

I received my Musa Basjoo from someone in Canada, and her corm sends up new pups every single year. It is the one banana plant that can survive Canada's harsh and bitter winters!!!

: O

Here's some information on the specifics of propagating a banana plant, for those that are not familiar with growing tropical banana plants and would like to know more about them...

BANANA: (Musa)

Banana trees are actually large herbaceous perennials, and the trunk is made up of compressed leaf stalks.

The roots are large rhizomes which are devided to make new plants. Cut a large rhizome into pieces, each of which should weigh 7 or more pounds and have at least two eyes, and plant.

Sucker plants from the base of the parent may also be cut off and planted. If the leaves are shortened at planting time, water loss will be less, and the plant more likely to grow.

Although a banana plant may appear to live for years, each dies after maturing its one crop of fruit, and is replaced by new sucker plants coming from the base.

: )

I have banana trees here in Thailand,, But I'd call them banana weeds.
If I had the room to grow them I'd be growing and fruiting them. I tryed to let the trees fruit before I choped them down, but waited 3 months on 200 green bananas to turn yellow, no luck. They cracked the conceriet, and I was told to cut them down. The Bananas here take along time to grow up and fruit. I'ed like to grow some more but first I'ed have to kill the Bananas trees I cut on a day to day basces. And fine a good place for them. Then my wife mite let me grow some to fruit...

strip tease that's funny:)
I am currently growing a plantain, It says when growing it doesnt like high winds but mines been doing just fine in the wind a little leaf tears but that's about it i just don't want the whole pot to flip over also a house or two down on my street there are a boat load growin wild, that's where i got my plant went and dug up a little six inch tall sucker plant. I have alot of wild fruit growing on my street pretty cool, people pull up in trucks and whipem out, i am gonna harvest before these looters do:)

Imagine - stealing from under the noses of people who live around there, and who might like to harvest some fruits for themselves and their families! These thieves have a very strong sense of entitlement - especially for things that are really not there's to take. Sad.

Cool, that you got yourself a little sucker plant. Banana plants certainly produce many of those, that's for sure. "Pups", they're called as well.

Glad you liked the strip tease.

i did,

my neighbors stole a whole bunch of pots and plants and a gas grill from my house like a day before we moved in, but we havent had anything stolen since, if i ever caught someone stealing a plant that i have been taking car eof i would be furious, I don't know all the bannana lingo but would like to have some to cook that one with red leaves siam ruby looks awesome i would definately be willing to do some trades or something for some rare or exotic bannana seeds/plants. kind of a bummer that one plant only produces once then it dies from theyre on:(

here we go little eye candy
this is my plantain i have been growing since a little babay, gonna prune today
IMG00368.jpg

a little cluster around the corner.
IMG00369.jpg

upon further inspections,
IMG00373.jpg

this puppies loaded not too long till i'm gonna snag these puppies and have some plantain action:)
IMG00370.jpg

IMG00371.jpg

they are not bannana's but close

I wish I could find Basjoo seeds. I would start them now and then move them to my GH once they get decent size. But even Google has not helped.

Mike

They are difficult seeds to germinate - especially if they're not fresh. They take a long time before they pop, too. I just sowed some the yesterday, and it will be a 2-3 month wait before I will see anything - IF I see anything. I use my heat mat.

I have a musa basjoo pup, but not seeds. It is just beginning to take off for me, but will hopefully produce some pups of it's own next year...

DSCI1435.jpg

wordwiz said:
I wish I could find Basjoo seeds. I would start them now and then move them to my GH once they get decent size. But even Google has not helped.

Mike
Your google-foo is weak;)
As I stated earlier Musa basjoo are very difficult to get seeds from so you basically need to start with a rhizome(sucker,pup)
Other cold-hardy varieties can be grown successfully from seed but I've had some take over a year to germinate:(

There are many other types you can grow from seed though, Wordwiz - especially ornamental varieties.

Join the International Banana Society forum and see if someone would be willing to trade with you. That's how I got my basjoo pup.

Hollyberry Lady,

I ordered some Darjeeling Banana (Musa sikkimensis) seeds. Don't crucify me, but I want them for three reasons - to have a couple of plants I can raise in the front garden (and these look spectacular), a couple-three I can give to family members who love to grow plants and the rest to sell.

Yes, yes, yes, I'm a greedy capitalist pig, and darn proud of it! I need to replace a lawn mower, rotary tiller and weed eater and the best way I have found is selling produce/seedlings. It worked this past year - I replaced a small barn that was falling down with a nice metal shed.

But... I did get lots of kudos from people who bought seedlings - they loved the produce, won ribbons at the fair, sent pictures of their plants to the local paper (which I publish!).

I realize germinating these things is going to be an exercise of patience as well as frustration. Soak them for at least 24 hours in warm rainwater, stick them in premium potting mix in an environment that approaches 90 degrees (?), keep my fingers crossed.

Mike

Back