• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Is it REALLY better to let our plants wilt before watering?

Hi all.

It seems to be 'growing lore' around here that it's better to let our chillis wilt a little before watering.

I was wondering what is the reasoning behind this. Does it really give the best results? Or is it simply a no-fail way of avoiding overwatering? I am concerned that i'm hurting my babies letting them wilt.. wouldn't it logically be better to keep them above the 'wilt threshold', and hence able to keep growing full time etc? I know little about how plants grow or handle stress so i'm just guessing.

Any personal tips you have for handling how often you water your plants, or handle intense summer heat would be good to discuss as well.

I think that keeping them just above the wilt threshold would be better but how do you know when that is? I think most people that let their plants wilt do so as to avoid over watering. Plants will wilt in the extreme heat anyway so it's catch 22 me thinks.

Hey mate

I let my plants wilt before watering as to avoid overwatering, but I only let them wilt a little.

It doesn't get as hot down here in NZ compared to you guys in Oz so I don't have any problems with "intense summer heat", although I wish I did!

Interesting topic, I am quite keen to see what other people have to say

I'm going to start letting mine wilt before watering, I've repotted three of my plants that have been over-watered.

So much for my experimenting with potting mix, I need to go back to the drawing board again.

It's a fine line with watering and I certainly am not getting it right. Considering I've over-watered I'm going in the opposite direction now. Hopefully I wont kill any more plants.

Personally I'd never intentionally let my plants wilt, the key is just to not overwater them so use a very loose well drained soil

I agree with Potawie for the grow part of the season...at the end of the season when the peppers are producing and ripening pods, I stress the Sh** out them to make the pods have more heat...

AlabamaJack said:
I agree with Potawie for the grow part of the season...at the end of the season when the peppers are producing and ripening pods, I stress the Sh** out them to make the pods have more heat...

Told you that you were a pimp! ;)

pepper pimp....hmmmm...I like the sound of that...roflmao

tomtomnz said:
Hey mate

It doesn't get as hot down here in NZ compared to you guys in Oz so I don't have any problems with "intense summer heat", although I wish I did!

42-45°C is not much fun for ppl's or plants:shocked:.

we don't get quite that warm here in Fort Worth...lots of days over 38C and about a half dozen over 40C...

what I have learned is that my pod set absolutely quits about the middle of July when the hot temps set in and does not start again until they cool off in September...theorizing why I have such a good fall harvest is the plants continue to grow and many get over 6 feet tall so when they do start to set pods again there is are lots of nodes for flower production/pod set...

My parents have several greenhouses, and my dad likes to let the plants wilt a little. I find it hard to, I tend to water when I first start seeing the soil dry or when I see the plants starting to wilt. However it should be noted a lot of the time it is because we may have several days of heavy clouds and we do not want the plants to become too spindly so we hold back on the water, then we water it just enough to keep them healthy and water it more when its sunny.

I think the theory behind letting them wilt, a least a bit as seedlings, is that their roots will seek out water and thus become stronger.

My plants have wilted enough times over the last three years that I know it does not hurt them!

Mike

I'm using a potting mix that's half perlite and half potting mix from a garden shop. Should I be letting my plants wilt?
The soil is very well drained, it's why I use the perlite

I have been letting them wilt due mainly to being unorganised, but they are really looking good! Hope I don't get so organised they all die...!

Back