• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is it safe to plant this?

dub_sauces said:
the 2 theories i think are relevant to your question is that hydrogen peroxide A) drastically helps to control molds and mildews that might pop up on your seeds/paper towels and B) provides extra oxygen to the roots when they pop... plant leaves may need co2, but plant roots want oxygen...

It's probably why I failed to start some jalapeño seeds to make up for my ghost peppers which didn't germinate and my jamaican hot chocolate that didn't germinate. The paper towel looked colorful.

Inedible said:

It's probably why I failed to start some jalapeño seeds to make up for my ghost peppers which didn't germinate and my jamaican hot chocolate that didn't germinate. The paper towel looked colorful.
how long did you wait for the ghosts? ive germinated a bunch of them and tried many different ways but they almost always take a full month to pop, sometimes longer. i think part of the reason is that i never used a heat mat so it wasn't as warm as it wanted, but the gp is naturally slow to germinate... first time I tried it I almost gave up on them a few times.

best luck ive had with % of sprouting is soaking them for a few days and then planting multiple seeds in pots, wait 40 days and move the sprouts that make it to their own pots... but that's probably not the best way for someone in a warmer climate or using a seedling heat mat, I don't know.

The ghost pepper was one of the first I succeeded with germinating. I bought some peppers at the local grocery. I had a really big plant that did nothing but drop flowers, because it was only ever inside. The neighbors tended to kill anything I set out. Now I live in a mostly better place, but there are still a few bad neighbors. My lemon plant was uprooted partially before whoever tried it just gave up. That plant has an amazing root system, unlike the peppers. It is really easy to kill the pepper plants; just moving them to a bigger pot can do it. Unfortunately my lemon isn't transitioning well to going back outside a second spring and summer. The wind was much stronger than weather.com said it would be. I really wanted to get some hot peppers this summer; I have only ever had one pod so far, a jamaican hot chocolate. It may have produced more, but almost all the leaves were ripped off. I don't know how much was wind and how much was children.

Inedible said:
The ghost pepper was one of the first I succeeded with germinating. I bought some peppers at the local grocery. I had a really big plant that did nothing but drop flowers, because it was only ever inside. The neighbors tended to kill anything I set out. Now I live in a mostly better place, but there are still a few bad neighbors. My lemon plant was uprooted partially before whoever tried it just gave up. That plant has an amazing root system, unlike the peppers. It is really easy to kill the pepper plants; just moving them to a bigger pot can do it. Unfortunately my lemon isn't transitioning well to going back outside a second spring and summer. The wind was much stronger than weather.com said it would be. I really wanted to get some hot peppers this summer; I have only ever had one pod so far, a jamaican hot chocolate. It may have produced more, but almost all the leaves were ripped off. I don't know how much was wind and how much was children.
If I had a problem with children touching my plants, I'd be making some hot pepper spray for ALL of my plants.
We all know that children can't resist having a good pick, once in awhile. (and sleepy bedtime eyes always get rubbed)
I'd probably say nothing for about a month, and then just one day, casually put up a sign that warns about the hot peppers. Real nice and big one, so the asshole neighbors couldn't miss it.

solid7 said:
If I had a problem with children touching my plants, I'd be making some hot pepper spray for ALL of my plants.
We all know that children can't resist having a good pick, once in awhile. (and sleepy bedtime eyes always get rubbed)
I'd probably say nothing for about a month, and then just one day, casually put up a sign that warns about the hot peppers. Real nice and big one, so the asshole neighbors couldn't miss it.

what he said... although i would be tempted to fence it off with barbed wire also

dub_sauces said:
what he said... although i would be tempted to fence it off with barbed wire also
The problem with barbed wire, is that it has a tendency to actually keep people out. They never really get to experience firsthand WHY they should keep out.

solid7 said:
The problem with barbed wire, is that it has a tendency to actually keep people out. They never really get to experience firsthand WHY they should keep out.

ooo... i didnt think about that.  good one.

Where I used to live, large groups of children would sit for hours on the porch and stairs right outside the apartment. They would look in the window and ask what we were doing. One kid urinated in our yard. They would scream and argue. Chalk pictures on the concrete. Trash got left behind all the time. I put corn starch on the porch and stairs so they wouldn't want to sit there, so the parents called the police and told them that I had tried to poison their children. I wouldn't put anything out that would just get tracked in on my shoes and possibly hurt the cat.

I need to get some of that 9.6 million SHU stuff to put on my plants.

Inedible said:
Where I used to live, large groups of children would sit for hours on the porch and stairs right outside the apartment. They would look in the window and ask what we were doing. One kid urinated in our yard. They would scream and argue. Chalk pictures on the concrete. Trash got left behind all the time. I put corn starch on the porch and stairs so they wouldn't want to sit there, so the parents called the police and told them that I had tried to poison their children. I wouldn't put anything out that would just get tracked in on my shoes and possibly hurt the cat.

If you're not actually trying to poison the kids, I don't see the problem. Let them call the police all day, every day. Every time they come out, it's a record that the kids and parents are assholes. If something ever happens, I'd love to be on record as having put corn starch on the porch. Let the police waste resources testing that, and filling out paperwork - only to find out that you just wanted kids off of your property. After awhile, they might actually tell them to stay away.

Or you could just put up a no trespassing sign. That kinda gives you some standing.

But yeah... hot pepper extract. :D

Inedible said:

useless urchins...  its no wonder victorian england put them to work in mills and factories.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
While using a deterrent is in my wheelhouse of ways to prevent annoying and destructive youths from trashing my property - spreading white powder that's visible to them, parents and police not the best option IMO because of today's environment of nut-jobs out to get their 15 minutes of fame.

white powder hazardous materials - Google Search
I'd do it, anyway. You can get some time if you do it in a public place. But at your private residence? Hardly.
Let them come.

Back