• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Is it worth really wanting an Xbox one in college?

Im going to college in a couple months and i am a competitive gamer. Is it really worth wanting to buy an xbox one and a new 20" flat screen tv with 1080p graphics. Because we all know great high end games like Call of Duty and Battlefield and etc needs a decent tv now or you aren't going to see much on the screen.

It comes down to priorities my pc is breaking and we all need a computer to get work done for school in todays world. So i obviously i need to save up for a computer. So maybe i should just play PC games and thats it, that way i can carry my laptop around with me and not worry about it getting stolen. But what is everyone else's opinion?

I agree with queequeg. Buy an NES (or just a hackey sack or a frisbee) and spend the money you save on high quality marijuana and low quality beer. 

college has tons of parties so the drugs and drink should not be very hard to find......I have xbox one and its great i dont play it much but its nice i use it more for my sons to watch netflix and hulu cartoons lol

queequeg152 said:
whats your major?

arts? no save your money for drugs.

Buisness? nah, save your money for booze.

Engineering? save your money for hookers.
Q just won this topic.

That said, if your major is virginity and shitty grades, go for it.

Q just dominated that. Kudos.

Look King, I just graduated with a degree in engineering and I can tell you my first year in college i blew away playing xbox 360 when it was brand new and my grades suffered because of it, drugs and alcohol didn't help either. More recently and my last semester in college all my xbox was mainly used for was netflix, hulu, or DVDs. On occasion did I ever play a game and more then likely it was rocksmith or halo. I dabbled in GTA but quickly gave it back. 

Invest in a really nice high end computer and a big TV instead, Like 42" or more. It will last longer and you can do more with them. 

You are already screwed. Your going to college and your thoughts are TVs and video games? Keep your cheap computer until you get to college. Keep as much cash as you can. No new clothes, electronics, etc. when you get to college your roommate will have the entertainment crap.

After using your old computer for a few weeks consider switching your system to lightweight Ubuntu. It will make your computer run smoother reduce viruses and make it twice as fast.

You need to save money because crap happens. Don't get in a contest or feel insecure about your possessions you'll end up broke and stressed. Some people are going to have more stuff than you. Get over it. College and HS are different. If you walk around in t-shirts that come from a 5 pack and old shorts and sandals no one is going to be less or more inclined to talk to you. If you make people feel comfortable and are fun to be around you'll have a lot of fun

Be carefull packing your video games. Wrap them in bubble wrap put them in a box and piss on them. Universities have so much free entertainment take advantage of it. Go to one-acts, poetry readings, independent movies and comedians and concerts. You'll never remember the best video game you ever saw but you'll remember talking with a friend about why you like a painting that resonates with you. Man I miss college.

Do not major in: communications, ethnic studies, psychology or political science. They are important classes but worthless majors. Your better off going to a vocational school. If you are not studying and making A's you are getting ripped off.

Pick a tough major and study hard. Life will be richer if you do. Don't feel like your dumb if you study. Studying is about growth and you really don't know how much others are studying.

Anyway save save save live cheap and don't think so much about material things. I had so little when I was in college and yet I think of it so fondly.

You really don't need a powerfull computer. A cheap computer today can handle anything you need. If you are doing high-powered computing you will use the college's servers

frosty said:
You'll never remember the best video game you ever saw but you'll remember talking with a friend about why you like a painting that resonates with you. Man I miss college.

i threw up a little bit, in my mouth.

There is nothing more corrosive to ones mind, than to be forced to listen to a bunch of dullards pontificating.... regurgitating some entirely obvious, contrived observation regarding a particular piece of literature, or art.

Freshman E comp, or humanities are utterly bullshit, worthless classes, and i will forever regret not testing out of them in HS. 

queequeg152 said:

i threw up a little bit, in my mouth.

There is nothing more corrosive to ones mind, than to be forced to listen to a bunch of dullards pontificating.... regurgitating some entirely obvious, contrived observation regarding a particular piece of literature, or art.

Freshman E comp, or humanities are utterly bullshit, worthless classes, and i will forever regret not testing out of them in HS. 
I approached my music appreciation class with that attitude. I didn't leave with that attitude.

What part of talking with a friend about why a piece of art has an impact on you makes you gag? That you are talking to a friend? Or that you are trying to understand why it means something?

I think we hijacked the topic. Maybe we should start our own.

Koth you'll need a printer. I'd wait to see what your roomie has b4 buying one

20" tv and 1080p you won't really know the difference from 720p.  Then again the price of a 720p to a 1080p in that price range is negligible so go for it, though I would recommend something bigger.

I had no problem with game systems while in college and expanded the library extensively after graduating.  I think it's a great way to relax (combined with the marijuana especially ;) ) but as with all things moderation was key.

The single biggest thing that affected my grades the first two years was having a nice laptop that I used in class.  It was highly distracting to be able to watch movies and surf the web while the professor was boring the rest of the class.

Don't really get why people are relating game systems to being a virgin... not all gamers are crazy over the top about it where they disregard social interaction and basically become a sloth.

Or do what you have planned, will be a wise choice.

waking up hammered everyday is great but you look back and wonder to yourself how you even passed class. (although i would do it all over again)

Three type of people at college: 1) drop out 2)Partiers  3) early graduate, job before they leave.

Decide who you want to be and enjoy yourself either way.

Back