• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is it worth repotting once they're fruiting? And safe to?

What up!
Happy Waitangi Day to all the Kiwis around.
Now, I have a plant that I am sure of with regard to its varietal but it is *beautiful*. I have never seen a healthier looking plant.
From pot to top, it's just bushy, vibrant and wonderful. It's a couple of weeks into developing pods - perhaps 5 on the whole thing and it's currently in a... I dunno. 10 gallon pot?
I have a 20 gallon pot standing by.
We'll have another three months of 20-25oC/70-80oF daily and I'm just wondering if it's worth potting bigger?
It's my star plant by FAR.
Will it still grow larger in that time?
And is it safe to pull it out?
Cheers
Adam

Yes! The plant will continue to grow and produce more pods especially w/3 months of grow time left in my opinion.Just be careful not to knock off too many flowers when transplanting

I have to agree with Pre - transplanting can cause shock to the plant, and in fact, usually does at least a bit. If the plant is not showing signs of a problem (and from your post, it's not), leave it alone.

If you are going to overwinter it, after the season is over, pull it out and prune both the stems and the roots so that they are about the same distance from the soil line, and then put it into the larger pot for the following season.

Okay. The pot itself is quite shallow but *wide*. I think it's actually wider than it is deep - I was experimenting with different pots for different varieties to dry out the soil more or keep it moist which is why I'm assuming this is a grunty Trinidad :D
Anyway, I guess I'll have to ask about overwintering in a couple of months.
Cheers!

thechileman.org has a great article on overwintering - I'd recommend you check that out first. Then there are LOTS of posts on overwintering here.

The lowest temperature overnight in the middle of winter is 7/45oF.
We had a freak frost this last winter which dropped down to 39oF which was farken cold.
Then it's usually around 55-60oF during the day.
I need to overwinter, right?
Cheers

What about semi-high winds?
Mill, my man, I could kiss you :D But only after I eat a Primo.
Perfect!!!!
Should I giving them some kind of shelter or cutting them back at all?
Defo pick off all pods when the temps drop a bit more?

The baby leaves MAY be affected by a light frost but the pods and the actual plant will survive till a freeze or worse. If they arent ripe keep them on. You'll be fine. Just watch for the soil staying too wet in the cooler temps.

Back