• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is she a goner?

Had a record low for Lubbock here on Tuesday... Go figure. 85 the day before. I had already planted this out. Any suggestions or is it done?

Photo_Apr_11_5_24_00_PM.jpg

It a crazy root system.... It's what I get for trying to get an early start I guess. Not pressed for space so I pulled all leaves off of it. Will wait and see I guess.

Sorry to see that happen to your pepper! It looks like the same storm system that rolled through here Monday and Tuesday hit you as well.

I had a horrible Monday and Tuesday here in Tucson. On Monday we had very high winds, and my makeshift greenhouse off my back patio was completely destroyed! I had 20 heirloom tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets that I'm using for my part-time plant business that almost got hit by the PVC ribs as the greenhouse was being torn apart. I was able to rip down the torn-up greenhouse before it caused any damage. However, I had about 250 starts (200 peppers, 50 tomatoes) in 3 1/2 inch pots on shelves that immediately became exposed to the high winds! They didn't like it! They were all drying out so quickly.

So I busted my ass moving the starts and the 20 tomato buckets into my garage. Not fun! I only lost a couple of starts.

Tuesday was also windy, but not as hard. Still, I left my plants in the garage because of the winds. Wednesday morning before work, I moved the 5-gallon bucket tomatoes back outside, with the intention of moving the smaller plants after work because I had so little time in the morning. When I got home, I discovered that the forecast for Wednesday night/Thurday morning was a low around 44 degrees. So again, I left my starts in the garage until Thursday morning.

I have to consider myself lucky. Tuesday morning I hired someone local with a pickup truck to haul my new greenhouse home (aluminum this time!). He told me that he had lost part of his roof Monday. Wednesday morning I was talking to a co-worker, who not only had his swamp cooler blown off his roof, but a huge water leak into one of his bedrooms as a result.

This is the second year in a row that we've had a cold snap come through Tucson in April. At least it didn't get down to freezing at my place!

Sorry to see that happen to your pepper! It looks like the same storm system that rolled through here Monday and Tuesday hit you as well.

I had a horrible Monday and Tuesday here in Tucson. On Monday we had very high winds, and my makeshift greenhouse off my back patio was completely destroyed! I had 20 heirloom tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets that I'm using for my part-time plant business that almost got hit by the PVC ribs as the greenhouse was being torn apart. I was able to rip down the torn-up greenhouse before it caused any damage. However, I had about 250 starts (200 peppers, 50 tomatoes) in 3 1/2 inch pots on shelves that immediately became exposed to the high winds! They didn't like it! They were all drying out so quickly.

So I busted my ass moving the starts and the 20 tomato buckets into my garage. Not fun! I only lost a couple of starts.

Tuesday was also windy, but not as hard. Still, I left my plants in the garage because of the winds. Wednesday morning before work, I moved the 5-gallon bucket tomatoes back outside, with the intention of moving the smaller plants after work because I had so little time in the morning. When I got home, I discovered that the forecast for Wednesday night/Thurday morning was a low around 44 degrees. So again, I left my starts in the garage until Thursday morning.

I have to consider myself lucky. Tuesday morning I hired someone local with a pickup truck to haul my new greenhouse home (aluminum this time!). He told me that he had lost part of his roof Monday. Wednesday morning I was talking to a co-worker, who not only had his swamp cooler blown off his roof, but a huge water leak into one of his bedrooms as a result.

This is the second year in a row that we've had a cold snap come through Tucson in April. At least it didn't get down to freezing at my place!

I hear you. It wasn't suppose to get that cold but the closer it get the further down the temp on the forecast was getting.
I actually wrapped it up to try to protect it but it obviously didn't work. I could have pulled it out of the ground, but I thought I'd just play it out. Now I know hehe....

I'm going to have more peppers than I can handle this year so it's not a huge loss at all. I'm going to leave it in ground and see if it comes back at all.

Watch the weather.... they are calling for something similar to come through here again next week... Stupid weather. And where is that damn groundhog at? :flamethrower:

It looks like your plant probably won't make it. But if you're going to try to keep it alive try putting plants around it to shelter it from the cold and/or make a makeshift greenhouse.

Back