• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Is the below programs good enough to protect my Windows 10 laptop?

Thank you in advance!!!

I have Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free version, cCleaner and SpyBot ( which I think keeps turning my Windows Defender off.)  I also want to ad Adblock +

So how does this all sound for protecting me?

This started last week due to something called BrowseFox which the Mcafee didn't stop.  I want to completely remove Mcafee, any suggestions. Is removing it with cCleaner going to do the trick?

Thank you very much!!!

Jabski

To remove McAfee, I would start by uninstalling the normal Windows way by going to "Programs and Features", selecting McAfee and then uninstall.  After that, I would download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool also called MCPR and run that.  If you do those two steps, McAfee will be completely gone.  

FYI, McAfee is not good at removing things like browser hijackers and other malware that attack your browsers.  You might want to purchase a paid version of Malwarebytes.  

You really should have an AV program, whether it be free or not.  Typically Kaspersky or Eset are the top ranked ones.

I think the program built into Windows 10 is fine. Use that and follow good practices like not opening every attachment people send you, not using file sharing sites, not clicking on banners that pop up saying you have virus, etc... Also have multiple cloud based backups of important stuff using a different password for each. I would also avoid connecting your drop box or Google Drive, one drive, etc... in case of ransom-ware attack. If it crawled through your file system encrypting everything your cloud backups would be affected.

The best defense other than not being on the internet is to not click anything that you don't absolutely need. No going on sketchy websites, don't type too many personal things into places, and so on. When combined with that, the programs you have should be enough. I haven't gotten anything at any rate.

Jabski said:
I don't like that idea. Please enlighten me.
If you let win10 auto install itself, then Microsoft has the ability to activate the microphone and such if/when they feel it becomes necessary. If you install it manually you can deselect that option.

I only use Avira, and thats for my workstation thats off line, I use a separate machine for Internet and thats Linux. But as a single computer Ive installed Avira only for people and that works, when they start putting other stuff on then things screw up like what happened a few weeks ago, a lady put a malware on and things disappeared from her computer, fine after I uninstalled it.

Knowing how to spot and avoid malicious software and scams is better than any antivirus, but failing that it's always good to use an AV. Windows Defender on 10 is like previous versions of WD meshed with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's far better than nothing, but not great.

My favorite AVs are Avira if you want a free one and ESET NOD32 if you don't mind paying. Both work on 10.

The programs you've listed can helpful after the fact. You want something preventative. McAfee is sub par. If you download another AV make sure you uninstall McAfee first and reboot. You should be able to uninstall it normally through the control panel.

Get rid of the windows defender in my past experience it's a failed, although all the programs are not worth can of beans if the system and all the programs are not up to date and keep that way

Back