• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this a lemon drop?

Alright so I've been thinking about this a while and while we're pretty sure this is a lemon drop pepper I'm starting to wonder. I have a few pictures. They have some heat to them, a bit of a citrus/flowery smell...not so sure about the flavor, it's good but indescribable at the moment.

Picture34.jpg

Picture33.jpg

it doesn't look like one. can't tell til it turns color though. they are usually thinner and they have a little tail. if they are lemon drop you'll be able to tell easily. the flavour is unmistakeable.

it doesn't look like one. can't tell til it turns color though. they are usually thinner and they have a little tail. if they are lemon drop you'll be able to tell easily. the flavour is unmistakeable.

Yea it doesn't help I don't have the greatest camera. That pepper is yellow...like a pale yellow. It starts off a lime greenish color then turns to this, far as I can tell, this is as big as they get and this is a ripe pepper. Any idea what it could be? This one was freshly picked...had left it alone for 1 weeks before picking it and no size change or color change.

ETA: Could this be an Aji Crystal?
From what I know Aji's are suppose to be red though.
BUT we did have a mess earlier in the summer where a kitty knocked some of out seedlings out of the cellpacks when they were just starting off...this could have been mixed in with the other peppers due to that. IF it is an Aji, it's my only survivor...and doing well. There's a lot of pods on this plant. but after leaving that one a week before picking it just to take pictures...I wonder how long it takes for these things to ripen...assuming it is?

It looks a bit like an unripe Aji Red or Rojo. The internal veins are visible from the slight translucency.

Mike

Mike,

We don't have any Aji red or Rojo seeds. Aji Crystal's were planted though, if this is an Aji, it's the only remaining plant that survived.

ETA: And if it is, it would appear I'm munching these things way to early...gunna let my plant sit for a while and see what happens.

Back