• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is this blossom end rot?

I've been keeping my plants in the shade as the temperatures have been up to 35*C (95 f) and very humid. I don't think I watered them as much as I should have. Either way, I saw this on one of my gypsies:

GCQOZ.jpg

Owjfg.jpg

Rd35f.jpg

Was it blossom end rot?

i would say slug damage

they do stuff like this and there bad this year some i have seen are the size of my thumb and i kill them on sight, i one night ran around my garden with a very large knife chopping them up, i was just waiting for the neighbors to call the cops THERES A CRAZY PERSON RUNNING AROUND THERE YARD WITH A HUGE KNIFE!!! lol
thanks thought you could use a laugh

your friend joe

So I've been keeping an eye out for slugs and haven't seen any... in any situation, this has happened to two of my gypsies:

157226v.jpg

oh4ayd.jpg

140xe15.jpg

I'm wondering if it's sun scald but the brown spots are also on the side of the pepper that faces away from the sun. The temperature has been completely out of whack. One day it's a mild 22*C and the next day it's 35*C with the humidity.

Two plants have had peppers with those nasty brown spots. The other has been completely unaffected even though I haven't been doing anything different to it. And then I noticed that some of my gypsies and cayennes have tiny yellow spots on their leaves... I wish there was an easy way to find out what's going on with my plants! :violin:

Not sun scald, sun scald is white and the damage is kind of papery looking. Doesn't look like BER either, BER starts at the tip/blossom end of the pod and moves up. Looks like bacterial soft rot I think.

Not sun scald, sun scald is white and the damage is kind of papery looking. Doesn't look like BER either, BER starts at the tip/blossom end of the pod and moves up. Looks like bacterial soft rot I think.

Interesting... I did a quick Google search and looked at the first link.

"Period of Activity
Warm, moist weather is favourable for infection by the bacterial soft rot pathogens. Infection is generally associated with insect damage or other wounds.

Scouting Notes
Prevention of bacterial soft rot requires good control of fruit-feeding insects."

And then it says,

"The pathogens cannot penetrate healthy fruit tissue, but the stem and cap are susceptible to attack. Infection can also occur through tissue injured by insects, sunscald, or other problems."

It has definitely been warm and moist here. I didn't see if two of the peppers were damaged by insects before they started rotting. I wonder if they looked like the first picture and if slugs were chewing on them though I've never seen any slugs in our yard.

I should add that I was looking at the second rotting pepper this evening after I cut it off. I saw a very small insect crawl out from underneath the cap before it crawled back under. It was very, very small and somewhat elongated like a grain of rice.

EDIT: Another link says "Remove infected plants immediately." If I did that, I'd only have one gypsy left. :(

Back