Is this coffee grinder okay?

I grinded some lemon drops today and the powder was fine but it was sort of moist. It cakes a bit. Is that normal? The peppers were crispy and dry when I did it. I was wondering since I saw an oily film on the grinder if the shaft was oiled at the factory and came up into the powder?

The way I tell if my peppers are dry enough is I break a few up. If they break apart like potato chips, then I know they are dry. As for the grinder, I have no way of telling if your getting oil from the shaft or your peppers just weren't dried all of the way. But if the powder is moist and caking, then you got moisture in it somehow.

Pepperfreak said:
It looks like it will do the trick, but for me personally, I like my Magic Bullet. Absolutely no pepper dust escapes out of the Magic Bullet, unlike the coffee grinder I started with and I get powder as fine as baby powder.

I also prefer the Magic Bullet. It powders very finely and purees very well too.

That's a cheapo one. Ideally for coffee you want a burr grinder.

The ones like you have there work great for breaking up weed. Just a quick one second pulse or so and its the perfect consistency.

I have a Cuisinart and it was expensive. The bowl is detachable and can go into the dish washer and is a great little unit it looks real pretty, nice and heavy, runs real strong, and is a horrible grinder. Well it grinds really good but the powder comes out the top and the bottom of the grinder and well it is easy to clean up while grinding super hots it can be an enlightening experience.

Bought a huge bag of Arbol and NM pods to make powder in the 'ol coffee grinder...only cost $1.38 at WinCo

S6304845.jpg

I'd have thought the Arbol would make red powder..I was mistaken..lol!
This is the actual color..a weird neon reddish-orange...smells SO good.

S6304854.jpg

It looks chunky, but it's not.
I dented it with a fingertip to show how fine it really is.

I'm doing the NM and Arbol separatly so I can have the variety in cooking. :)

Loooooove Chiles De Arbol!!

quad why dont you delete one of your doulbe posts ?

as for the grinder, it looks just fine by me.
I bought a coffee grinder from walmart that has a detachable cup for about ? $10-$15 ? its been awhile so I dont remember the price. I think it was coffeemaker brand or ? it has settings for fine/course grind.
it works good for making fine powder, but it also depends on how dry your pods are just like it would for any grinder.

imaguitargod said:
Yep, that's perfect. Just don't use water to wash it out, I ruined mine that way :(

Try to clean it with a little bit of rice. Put it in. Grind a couple of pulses. Ditch it. Clean!

i have a bodum coffeegrinder which is similar to the original item pictured, & it's ground many pods, spices etc over the years with no trouble whatsoever.bit finicky to clean, but a soft damp cloth does the job no problem.

I have been using a blender with a mason jar screwed on. Does ok, but doesn't grind it up too fine. For christmas I am getting a cuisinart burr mill coffee grinder and I can't wait to try it out. I saved a batch of dried pods just so I can try it out tomorrow!

jacob

Back