• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this iron deficiency?

I've got 4 types of chilli and one sweet pepper growing indoors under lights in the same medium - a mixture of coir, (sterile) compost and vermiculite, with a pinch of rock dust added. As I'm in Scotland and it gets a bit cold (even indoors!) at night I've had the plants all on a heat mat (with temp probe in the soil), set to switch off at 20C (60F).

The sweet peppers and 3 of the chillies (palivec, numex suave and ancho) are all doing fine - but the Trinidad Perfume ones have had all their new leaves yellowing, though the old leaves look green and healthy - which I've read is a sign of iron deficiency.

I've read that this can be caused by (obviously)! a lack of iron, too high a pH, and too high a temperature. Are Trinidad Perfume chillies more susceptible to soil/nutrient imbalances than others? Is 20C too hot for the soil?

I've turned the heat down a bit to see what difference that makes, but I'm now also wondering if I should take steps to amend the soil for those plants/the whole lot, or if I should just be patient.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

u7cpMmFh.jpg

Could just be overwatering. Would be odd in my opinion for such a small plant to have nutrient deficiencies. Some varieties are just more susceptible to over watering than others.

Agreed....over watering would be first thought on such small and newer seedlings.

Coir can also have its problems.

Soil temp should be just fine at 60*F

Thanks for that info! I've been watering approximately weekly from below by filling the outer tray with an inch or so if water, adding back the inner tray (with holes) for about 10mins, then draining it off.

None of the plants seem to be complaining about being too dry so I'll ease back on watering. They're nearly due to be potted on anyway, so can have different watering schedules when separated.

I've used a dilute tomato feed and calmag spray once (they're only 3 weeks old). Planning on adding slow release fertilizer to the soil when potting on.

Should I be doing more feeding at this stage? Always worry I'll overdo it!

Back