• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this mold? Help a newbie, please!

Hello, my dear pepper-lovers!

A few weeks ago I (finally) started growing some precious peppers (after receiveing the seed from smokin' Ed). 
Cant express how glad I was, before a couple of days ago I saw some green stuff on the soil. I suppose its mold :(

Please help identify it and tell me how deadly it is and what I can do with it.

6j36vb.png

I would agree with the comments except for one thing.

Greg1 said: "A few weeks ago I (finally) started growing some precious peppers (after receiveing the seed from smokin' Ed)."

If that plant were seed just three weeks ago, then the green stuff is magic pepper demon grow dust.  Have a seed hook up for you that is in Russia.  I doubt they sell seed that will grow as fast as your first and currently only post claims Puckerbutt seeds do, but if you are in Russia you will save tons of money on shipping and avoid the import taxes and regulations.  Send me a PM and I will dig out the url for you.

Thanks to everybody! Will do as told.  
Ajdrew, PMed you.

PS A lil bit sorry for the confusing 'a few weeks ago', it's been more like 5-7 weeks.

Want to mention something.  In your PM you said you got seed stock from the the Russian site I was going to recommend.  Nice people.  You also mentioned Pepper Joe.  You did not mention Puckerbutt.  Since above you mentioned Mr. Curry (Smoking Ed) I* want make sure you know Smokin Ed is the owner of Puckerbutt Pepper company, not Pepper Joe inc.  On the Pepper Joe site, when it is talking about the Carolina Reaper it mentions Mr. Curry a lot because he created the Carolina Reaper.

While I have no issues withe Pepper Joe what so ever, always got good service, if it is Carolina Reaper seeds you are after you should know that Pucker Butt sells them for less than Pepper Joe even though Puckerbutt is the company owned by the guy who created the pepper.  No clue why, not trashing Pepper Joe.  Would point you to my catalog, but I our little business is way, way, way too small to even think about exporting seeds.

BTW: Would -LOVE- to know more about Pepper Heads in Russia. I am a culture junkie, always curious.  Lived in Europe for a time back when there was a USSR.  Spent much time in East Germany, wonderful people other than wanting to buy the blue jeans off my ass and my cigarettes out my pocket.

You're absolutely right. I must've confused the provider of the seed, because 'Smokin' Ed' is mentioned quite a few times there. I bought the 'volcano in a box' starter's pack from Joe. Will take a look at Puckerbutt, thanks.

As for the pepper culture in Russia, it looks like its hundreds of times less developed than in the US. It's almost impossible to get anything fresh. I only managed two find dry bhuts in Russia, other dry pods (like the carolina reaper) I get dry by mail from UK (chilliwizards.co.uk). The good news is I found quite a few enthusiasts among my mates and we're eager to get the thing started.

I'll keep you updated about our progress and the pepper-lover-culture in Russia :) 
Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips.

Topsmoke, have read that it can bind nutrients but I dont see how cause it can only grow on the top / needs light to live.  Could it release something into the soil?  Never before had the problem because it has been really dry here.  But should probably figure it out because have noticed too much humidity in green house.  Not a problem on days I can open and vent it, but want to grow in the winter.  Suppose it is all a learning experience.

Moscow!  Welcome to Texas! 

So far the plant looks good.  I agree with the comments about overwatering.  Fortunately the plant is big enough that damping off (a fungal infection) is unlikely.  The problem with overwatering is that it does bad things to roots, retarding growth.  Your growing medium looks good, though.  What is it? 

I'll say this for what it's worth.  Reapers are NOT a good pepper for a first-time grower, particularly one growing indoors in a container.  They are quite particular about nutrients and soil conditions.  They need a lot of light and they take forever to set and ripen, even in the best conditions.  And at the end the variety isn't all that stable.  If you really want a super-hot, you'd do better with Bhut Jolokia (Ghost), which has been stable and happy for centuries in India. 

Anyone here remember Stolichnaya Pepper-infused vodka?  Stoli apparently stopped making (or at least importing) it in the mid 90s, but I still have a half bottle.  From the freezer a shot is composed of ice and fire, and is the closest thing I know to a true aphrodisiac.  Try that with a slice of super-hot and pre-program the phone with 911.

ajdrew said:
Topsmoke, have read that it can bind nutrients but I dont see how cause it can only grow on the top / needs light to live.  Could it release something into the soil?  Never before had the problem because it has been really dry here.  But should probably figure it out because have noticed too much humidity in green house.  Not a problem on days I can open and vent it, but want to grow in the winter.  Suppose it is all a learning experience.
I've seen it grow on the inside of pots before, even the bottom.

Privyet! Moskva ochin krascvya gorat! Sevoydnya holodnya?

Congrats on managing to find & grow chiles up there--nice plant! Hope you & your plant stay warm! At least in the summer, you'll have great weather to grow outside.

ajdrew said:
its possible that its aleopathic but ive never heard that.  should be able to alleviate some humidity with increased air flow or maybe some form of dehumidifier.  i saw the pics of your hoop house on your site, very sexy. 

Wonder if it would be best to remove the top layer, and give it a dusting of new soil? Then just go steady on the water.

As a general rule, I let the soil feel dry before I water.... and not too much.

Back