• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this seaweed good for fert?

seaweed2.jpg

seaweed1.jpg

Filled up some trash bags with this stuff i found at the beach. It's already dried up. I want to make some seaweed liquid out of this. Is that ok?

Nightshade said:
To me that doesn't look like seaweed was it dried when you found it?

It's called seagrass, not seaweed. My mistake. You can found it in most greek beaches, and yes was mostly dried up.

After a little search i found out that this kind is called "Posidonia" or Neptune grass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Posidonia_2_Alberto_Romeo.jpg)

found on "posidonia meadows" and there are some companies that make compost out of it.

I think i'll make some compost out of it as well.

Shoot a PM to WalkGood or take a look through his Glog. He make a seaweed tea and could assist you in putting your tea together. 

Oh, and he get really great results with it.

Jetchuka said:
Looks like a slow breakdown with high lignin content, found one of those companies using it for compost: http://www.compost.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75%3Aposidonia-oceanica-seagrass-&catid=37%3Acomposting-seagrass&Itemid=77&lang=en

I'd say it needs to be ground up pretty well for straight up compost, but maybe not so much if used as one of the main ingredients in potting soil.

I wonder how good it's mineral content is, i imagine it can't be too bad...
Yep, i know these guys, bought some of their product last year, pretty expensive though .

Cayennemist said:
I would put it in a bucket with water and let it rot for about 30 days with the lid on, then compost it. This will speed up the process
That's what i am going to do, and then use it for foliar spray

RocketMan said:
Shoot a PM to WalkGood or take a look through his Glog. He make a seaweed tea and could assist you in putting your tea together. 

Oh, and he get really great results with it.
Yeah, i know, he had commented in one of my older posts regarding seaweed fertilizers and he helped a lot.

Thanks everybody for taking some time to check here

Back