• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil is this soil good for mature plants ?

plants are ready to move from 2gal to 5gal pots

this will be the final pot for them

is this soil suitable for this?

pictureyt.jpg

peat_moss.jpg

I'm no expert but the PH is awful acidic as peats are. Also available nutrients looks low. Mixed with other things (worm casting, a little sand, gypsum, etc) though it would be good.

Peat moss is a soilless medium. In other words it's not comprised of any sand, silt, or clay particles.

Nitpicking aside, it's a wonderful growing medium for a number of reasons. Arguably the most important is that it has EXCELLENT water retention, so make sure you also have excellent drainage when growing in it, or you can drown your plants. It is very acidic, but this can be corrected with limestone, or better yet, a product like General Organics CaMg+, as peppers need adequate Ca and Mg both to avoid Blossom End Rot (BER). The consistency is too fine to use on its own, so perlite and vermiculite are both great additional amendments, because they improve the structure of the media, water retention, and have good Cation Exchange Capaticies (CEC's). Sand and mulch are also good. My 5-gallon plants have a potting mix that is roughly 65% peat and they love it.

i found other soil:

peat moss + coco peat

can i use it as is or mix with more stuff? (will use with organic fert's)

The coco peat + sphagnum peat blend would be better than the peat on its own. Add maybe 20% perlite and you'll have better aeration too. There's no rule that you have to do anything organically, but since I grow on a very small scale, I also use only organic potting mixes and nutrients for all my edible plants.

Back