• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Is this sun scalding?

My wife left our plants out for quite a long time on the second day of our "hardening off" period while I was at work without realizing they should be in the shade.

These are the worst instances.

IMAG3069_zps9a7a2841.jpg

IMAG3070_zps4efd0f84.jpg

So if it is, what do I do, and If it's not.......what do I do?

Yup. Sunburn. All you can do is wait for them to grow some new leaves. Don't pick any of the damaged leaves off, the plants can still use them. Just give them sun in increasing increments until they're used to it.

Don't worry. At worst they will drop the leaves in a week or two, but more will grow back and replace them.

heefy said:
Don't worry. At worst they will drop the leaves in a week or two, but more will grow back and replace them.
Question...since these are already scalded, and I've since let them sit out in moderate sunny weather since...what do I have to do to keep this from happening again?  I mean, these guys got blasted for about 8-10 hours worth to get this bad but I imagine they're significantly more seasoned now and could withstand a little more?

Yea a little sunburnt.  Honestly I'd pick them leaves off.  Otherwise the plant is putting a lot of it's energy into trying to fix those leaves which isn't happening.  I wouldn't say they are more seasoned but the new growth that starts when the plants are outside won't have this problem.  I personally just stick them in complete shade for the first 2-3 days just so they can acclimate to the weather and being outside in general.  Then I start working my way up with the sun.  

Jamison said:
Yea a little sunburnt.  Honestly I'd pick them leaves off.  Otherwise the plant is putting a lot of it's energy into trying to fix those leaves which isn't happening.  I wouldn't say they are more seasoned but the new growth that starts when the plants are outside won't have this problem.  I personally just stick them in complete shade for the first 2-3 days just so they can acclimate to the weather and being outside in general.  Then I start working my way up with the sun.  
Ok, thanks.  They've had an entire day without sun (Overcast, rainy) in their new homes and today is partly cloudy...but mainly sunny.  The exposure they're on gets sun after 12 oclock...so they'll see about 4-5 hours of sunlight today.  

Back