• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

sun Is this sunburn?

Hi folks. I was hoping to determine the issue myself when I asked about a troubleshooting guide here http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39505-troubleshooting-guide/ but I think I'd like some help.

I started my seeds indoors in December, and brought my plants out May 26. I'm in Eastern Canada, so temperature wise, we're all over the place. Anywhere from +5C (41F) some nights to +25C (77F) during the day. Most plants are doing quite well except a few.

I suspect sunburn, but would like some opinions. Reason I lean towards sunburn is that I did not harden off my plants (shame on me, I know). 

Anyway, here are a few plants I am worried about.

Plant 1 - Bhut Jolokia
8964766130_4fc0bb6fd0_b.jpg

8964767284_9581624be4_b.jpg

Plant 2 - Bhut Jolokia
8964766540_7ae81b1294_b.jpg

8963571027_29281f89b9_b.jpg

Plant 3 - Jalapeno
8963572947_b1b17e74a3_b.jpg

8963572519_b499ed7df8_b.jpg

These 3 plants were in a different area in the backyard form other plants that are doing well, so I've moved them today to see if perhaps it was the location.

Any suggestions?

To my eyes, that is 100% sunburn.

I would keep the leaves dry, simply because there's more points of entry for a bacterial infection. And maybe tear off the worst one or two leaves off each plant, but that isn't necessary.

They should be 100% fine otherwise.

I would pull them back into the shade ..........and maybe give them a good dose of 20-20-20 to gain strenght and vigor-----remember in this weaked state they r susceptible to disease and fungus..so separate from rest of crop and check daily ---might also have some chewing going on as well in one of your pictures..hope this helps!

Very good, thanks folks. They're in pots so I'll move them. 

On another note, we have a risk of frost for tonight (ridiculous I know, although I highly doubt it'll go below +5C). I've heard that watering the night of can help the plant. Any truth to that? Does anyone know?

With frost they need to be 100% protected, indoors preferably.

Don't take chances on those watering tricks, your weakened plants won't survive, or at best they'll weaken and get diseased up later on.

Even sustained 38f temps will knock them senseless at this point.

Gotcha. I have some in the ground that I've covered with tarps when needed. The ones in pots I can easily bring indoors, just takes a few trips, no biggie.

Thanks everyone.

StAugieHotPeppers said:
I would pull them back into the shade ..........and maybe give them a good dose of 20-20-20 to gain strenght and vigor-----remember in this weaked state they r susceptible to disease and fungus..so separate from rest of crop and check daily ---might also have some chewing going on as well in one of your pictures..hope this helps!

It's my understanding that when a plant is in a weakened, stressed condition, giving it a strong fert is not the thing to do.

Back