• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Is this the average person's knowledge?

Speaker demonstrates absolutely no knowledge of cross pollination and the creation of hybrids.  Nothing wrong with that.  Lots of areas I know nothing about and I am no expert on this subject either.  But I had thought that cross pollination to create a new variety was common knowledge.  I distinctly remember a Junior High earth science class that covered things like how the seedless watermelon was created and how various corn hybrids were made.  Now I wonder if maybe I had a clue really early because I grew up in a rural area.

So what do you think?  Is the guy in the video demonstrating average knowledge on the subject?  Have public school programs changed?  Could it be the knowledge they share is different based on where the school is? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRBi3fNFuQ

We learned all about Mendel and peas and corn and stuff, breeding for attributes, dominant and recessive genes, etc. I graduated 19 years ago though, so who knows what they're teaching them now.

Dasgrinch said:
We learned all about Mendel and peas and corn and stuff, breeding for attributes, dominant and recessive genes, etc. I graduated 19 years ago though, so who knows what they're teaching them now.

My kids grade school runs its own garden and has a great deal of agricultural education, but we are rural.  Heck, I think I first heard the word hectare from my kids.  It is a land measurement... maybe 100 acres.

Dasgrinch said:

Apparently all that 'boring' science stuff got shitcanned somewhere along the way....   :confused:

This guy has lots of factiods bouncing around in his head, but near-zero understanding of why and how they interact.  Not understanding even the most basic aspects of the world around you, and how it works, must qualify as some sort of clinical insanity or mental retardation, right?   :crazy:

Yeah acre is imperial, and are is metric. 1 are is 100 m2 , and a hectare is a hundred ares (10.000 m2), or 1 square hectometre.

In comparison, 1 acre is 43,560 square feet, or 4,840 square yards. 1 square foot is 144 square inches. 

So, why haven't you guys switched to the metric system yet?

(Also, the more I write the word square, the weirder it starts to look)

AJ Drew said:
Our soda switched.  But I aint going in for that 9mm stuff.  I am a .45 man.  That there's Merikan bullets.  No mm, no mike mike, just some great old caliber.  Caliber damn it.  Way god wants it.

Post of the Month material right here. ^^^ Les Baer would be proud!

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:

Post of the Month material right here. ^^^ Les Baer would be proud!

Dated my way threw Europe and always asked questions about how things work there.  I can honestly say I love the United States.  So much that I think I can get away with making fun of it.  You gotta admit we are a funny people.

Back