• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this what you call "leggy"? Anything to worry about?

Sowed on March 3. Watering from bottom in seed starting kit. Fan on them for last two weeks. 14-16 hours of light. Some pushing 2 inches and starting to lean a little. Anything I need to think about doing differently?
012.JPG
[at
013.JPG

John

would recommend separating the seedlings...if you wait much longer, you will damage the roots during separation...unless you plan to grow 2-3 plants together

+1 w/AJ also to prevent legginesseses bring the light closer flouro's to put off that much heat I trie to keep mine a couple of inches off them

AJ - thanks I was wondering about that. Some people have said I could leave them in the seed cells until they go into ground in mid May. That seemed like a long time but on guy even told me he likes them to get a bit root bound. Being a first timer, I'm afraid I'm a little gullible.

So you'd recommend potting up at least once and separating the seedlings? I do have several with multiple sprouts and that seems to make sense. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to growing multiple plants together?

John

my pot up routine is from seed starting cells to 3 inch containers, to 6 inch containers (<---if I have time) then outside to 5/10/25 gallon containers...

to me the disadvantage is usually one plant will be dominant and the others won't grow to full potential and essentially keep the other plant from growing it's best...however, the advantage is that growing them together will give the appearance of a very "bushy" plant with multiple stems...

I suppose it's just up to you and what you want your plants to do or look like...I like my plants to get huge thus anything that I think causes "stunting" I try to avoid...

AJ - thanks I was wondering about that. Some people have said I could leave them in the seed cells until they go into ground in mid May. That seemed like a long time but on guy even told me he likes them to get a bit root bound. Being a first timer, I'm afraid I'm a little gullible.

So you'd recommend potting up at least once and separating the seedlings? I do have several with multiple sprouts and that seems to make sense. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to growing multiple plants together?

John

Last year I grew 2 per pot. Given they were larger containers I still had crowding problems.One plant would thrive and the other not so much. This is an earlier shot of what I had. They eventually grew to a size were one was bigger than the other. Some peppers are more "bushy" than others and some like to climb tall. My 2 jalapenos grew together just fine, but I had a habanero with a thai and it didn't so much.... Needless to say, I learned my lesson. I will be planting one plant per container this year.

IMG_20120608_00754.jpg
. It just didn't work out. Quite a few of them never put out a single pod either.

This is really great feedback. Thanks for helping out a new guy. Think I will separate although I guess I didn't plan very well cause nw I have to figure out the logistics of approx 180 seedlings. Lighting, shelving, watering, trays...might have bitten off more than I can chew.

This is really great feedback. Thanks for helping out a new guy. Think I will separate although I guess I didn't plan very well cause nw I have to figure out the logistics of approx 180 seedlings. Lighting, shelving, watering, trays...might have bitten off more than I can chew.

Yep, I do every year lol

Its a lot of work but i think its so much fun! Enjoy your grow

Back