• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is "Worlds Hottest" just a myth for the backyard garden?

Is "Worlds Hottest" just a myth for the backyard garden? Someone’s got to have the “Worlds Hottest” pepper, but we all know growing conditions very at every backyard. My wife bought me some pepper seeds for Christmas and at first I thought how am I going to eat these. Four of the Five claimed to be the world’s hottest. One was an ornamental pepper. I think those are still payback for when she started to get into video games and I bought her Tecmo Super Bowl. Then I thought about my Jalapeno’s and Habanero’s I grew last season. 90% were average and 10% were HOT! Are Bhut's, Nada's and Scorpions the same or am I in for a world of hurt this year?

Your right about everyone's backyard is going to be different so your peppers might not be as hot as someone else, you can also look at it the other way, your back yard may be perfect and grow hotter peppers than everyone else.
For the other question it depends what your wife got you but id say your in for a world of hurt.

Tecmo Super Bowl was an awesome game! The Niners were unstoppable. I'd say that the Bhuts, Nagas, and Scorpions are going to give you some serious heat this year. Even if the heat varies 30% due to growing conditions you're still talking about around 700k on the Scoville Scale, which is some serious heat. I have a shaker full of superhot powder; about 1/16th of a tsp in a good sized portion of food is enough to light my mouth on fire.

Well when your talking about Superhots with bhuts and nagas,scorpians you are talking about heat. The hottest jalapeno doesnt come close to this type of heat. Of course you get peppers that are not that hot then some that are extreme but you should be in for a suprise. What I would do is check out what peppers you have and look at their heat units or scoville units. Then you get a bit of an idea on how hot it may end up being. Use it as a range instead of exactly how hot the pepper is.

+1 on most of the comments!! When you move up from habs to the supers it's a whole new world of heat, pain and wonderful delight!! I find it highly addictive and you're always going back for more pain. We certainly are strange creators aren’t we?

If you want, like, and can handle heat, jalapenos n orange habaneros are pansies in the world of hot peppers.
I remember when I was scared to eat a Habanero... They're like skittles to me know :lol:

If those superhots do grow true you'll be thinking habaneros are the new bell peppers.
I see you live in Florida.. Your backyard should have the right conditions to produce some serious heat for ya :)

Brandon

I remember eating my first superhot and thinking "I can eat a habanero like it is candy, this shouldnt be a problem". MAN! Was I wrong! It was a whole new ball game indeed. Growing superhots really isnt hard and getting scortching pods isnt either. Personally I feel the plants produce hotter pods when you stress them now and then. Also another factor in the heat level is ambient temp, it seems if they mature when it is hotter out, the pods are hotter.

P.S. If you want to know just how hot they have the potential to be, waste a seed by putting it on your tounge for a little bit, you will get an idea of the true level of pain you are in for. Growing superhots is a painful love addiction, it hurts so good you will love it and come back for more and more and more...

A mild ghost will be equivalent to a strong habanero. As Matt mentioned temp matters. I will add one thing though, I have found that home grown peppers tend to be more flavorful than store bought so although my plants during the year vary in heat which is a bummer I would still prefer them over store bought.

Don't recall where, but I read somewhere that the heat of a pepper is 50% genetics and 50% growing conditions. So, if your backyard and methodology mimics the growing conditions for a specific type of pepper, you might be able to achieve the upper bound of its heat capability.

Yes, Your in for a world of hurt this season :fireball:

And as above growing conditions will have an impact on the heat level, try to not water the plants for the last week or so before picking the peppers. Stressing the plant by leaving the plants to wilt before watering during the final stages of pod growth will helped attain a higher level of heat than if you drowned the plant every day.

I have the hottest pepper in the world growing right in this here box...

100_0036-1.jpg

If you want, like, and can handle heat, jalapenos n orange habaneros are pansies in the world of hot peppers.
I remember when I was scared to eat a Habanero... They're like skittles to me know :lol:

If those superhots do grow true you'll be thinking habaneros are the new bell peppers.
I see you live in Florida.. Your backyard should have the right conditions to produce some serious heat for ya :)

Brandon
LOL at skittles Brandon.i have a friend that gets the hicups and sweats eating jalapenos.

I watched a vid that neil from thsc did and they were saying that to get a strain to be as hot as genetics can make it is buy stressing it and that they have found that there is something in worm castings that reacts with the chilli plant to make the defensive system of the plant produce hotter pods , has anyone herd this before?.

LOL at skittles Brandon.i have a friend that gets the hicups and sweats eating jalapenos.

I watched a vid that neil from thsc did and they were saying that to get a strain to be as hot as genetics can make it is buy stressing it and that they have found that there is something in worm castings that reacts with the chilli plant to make the defensive system of the plant produce hotter pods , has anyone herd this before?.

LOL. Everyone has their own secret grow formula. Worm castings/juice are an excellent organic souce of nutrients and microbes.
Stressing a plant can definitely add heat but often the plants will suffer and not produce as much. Stressing can be done with heat, deprivation of water, and/or excess fertilizer but remember not to stress the plant before there are lots of pods present. Even pods grown in the hot summer or in a greenhouse are usually somewhat hotter

I ditched the chem ferts for organic. A big difference within 3 months
Now i use worm juice (run off from worm farm) and some seaweed.

My plants are up to 6 feet tall and raging hot. How hot you ask. I ate a small Douglah and it caused the most pain i have ever felt. for 4 hours my guts felt like stabbing pains until my stomach convulsed and I hurled in the garden. Ghost peppers.... pfeh - nothing compard to these evil Douglahs.

LOL. Everyone has their own secret grow formula. Worm castings/juice are an excellent organic souce of nutrients and microbes.
Stressing a plant can definitely add heat but often the plants will suffer and not produce as much. Stressing can be done with heat, deprivation of water, and/or excess fertilizer but remember not to stress the plant before there are lots of pods present. Even pods grown in the hot summer or in a greenhouse are usually somewhat hotter
Thanks POTOWIE for your advice mate , can you tell me ,all of the strains that im growing are full of pods except for the Manzano plant , it just seems to flower up the the flowers just drop of and dont get to the pod stage , is this because i live in perth wa were its quite hot here, I have herd that the manzano chilli is from the colder climate countrys and dont grow pods the first season.?

I never have much luck with C. pubescens and I've tried many varieties and many different variables but they still always produce pods the first year. One thing I've noticed is with containers, pubescens appear to prefer quite a bit more root space than other varieties so don't let them get root bound. Are you growing in the ground or containers?

I never have much luck with C. pubescens and I've tried many varieties and many different variables but they still always produce pods the first year. One thing I've noticed is with containers, pubescens appear to prefer quite a bit more root space than other varieties so don't let them get root bound. Are you growing in the ground or containers?
Yeh mate im growing in pots , i sold my house so im just renting atm so all plants are in pots, every other strain , yellow 7, bhuts, fatali all seem fine and are loaded with pods , but the manzano just keeps droping flowers for some reason, maybe i should up the pot size or just stick it in the ground. thanks mate.

I might be late but Worlds Hottest Would be in a Humid Hot emvironment and obviously the soil Rich in nutrients -N +P +K and let them fully Mature.

Back