• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

It's Beef Jerky Time!

A couple days back I purchased 6 lbs of eye of round from Costco.  It's become my favorite for jerky because it's very lean and easily trimmed.  This batch of meat is sliced thinly and then marinated for two days in my secret sweet hot teriyaki hooch.  After marinating it goes into the dehydrator for around 16-24 hours and then I bag it up.  Thanks for looking! :)

First I mix up the sweet hot teriyaki hooch:

ae88b9.jpg

Then I prep the meat:

15ojgoy.jpg

The fat cap comes off easily, leaving behind a very lean chunk of meat. 

1op351.jpg

Once trimmed I cut it down into blocks that I can slice thin.  Shooting for 1/8" inch or less.

2j0xopv.jpg

Time for your bath mister meat! 

234i75.jpg

All six pounds swimming and getting happy.  I mix this by hand twice a day for two days.

k3k3n6.jpg

Now that the marinade is over it's time to dry.  Set the meat in single layers on the dehydrator racks, making sure nothing touches or overlaps.  

2qdpt8p.jpg

For extra bonus sprinkle some of your favorite powder on it before right before it goes in the dehydrator.  This batch gets bahamian goat and yellow congos.  :)

2z7ic8x.jpg

Check the jerky after 12 hours and then every two hours thereafter.  Thicker pieces can take up to 24 hours but you don't want it so dry it will snap.  Remove the jerky when it's still got a bit of bend to it, so it's still chewy.  The finished product:

28c0xef.jpg

Start to finish this takes about 2 hours of work time and roughly a day to dry.  Truly this is super easy and there's plenty of room to experiment with marinades and flavor profiles.  No matter what you're marinating in be sure to taste and adjust seasonings to your liking *before* you put the meat in.  I like adding extra heat with a sprinkle of powder at the end of marinating because the pepper taste doesn't get lost in the marinade and it's easier to bump heat that way.  Next I'm going to be test batching some other flavor profiles; Indian Hot Goan Curry, some Bourbon BBQ and another batch I'm calling Crack the Sky made with pecan smoked trin scorps and peach smoked red bhuts.  

<3 THP!  :D

Older thread but I was just telling my wife we should make some jerky because I get so snacky when i'm working nights. 

I was thinking of picking up a nice big eye of round and giving it a go (I've never made jerky for some reason) Wondering what your thoughts are on smoking it first... like bringing it to 160 in the smoker over some cherry or something and then slicing and marinading. Or do you think it would get too dry/brittle or fall apart?

hmm , would be hard to tell meat temp though with them so thin I can't really stick a probe in them. Maybe i'll try some in the dehydrator and some on smoker see how they turn out. If in smoker they will probably be running around 200f I would think. Or just give them a good smoke then toss in the dehydrator to finish. 

I run 180 for about 2hrs,then drop them straight in the Excaliburs set at 150
I cut mine right at 1/4" and it gives a great chew when its not over dried
D3monic said:
hmm , would be hard to tell meat temp though with them so thin I can't really stick a probe in them. Maybe i'll try some in the dehydrator and some on smoker see how they turn out. If in smoker they will probably be running around 200f I would think. Or just give them a good smoke then toss in the dehydrator to finish

SmokenFire said:

The marinade is soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce, mirin, worcestershire sauce, a touch of fish sauce, bamboo smoked sesame seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, smoked aleppo flake, smoked jalapeno & aji colorado blend and a bit of turbinado sugar - all mixed up and let sit for a day on the counter.  For 6 lbs of meat I use about 3 cups of marinade.   :)
Yum sound outstanding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

From left to right 

Peppered: soy , fresh made Worcestershire, brown sugar, crushed pepper corns, garlic, onion powders

Sweet chili: soy, mirin, FM Worcestershire, brown sugar, molasses, pepper, garlic, onion,  powders, 3 serranos thin sliced, smoked bonnet flakes. 

Mesquite: mesquite seasoning, soy, FM Worcestershire, garlic, onion powders. 

qBd3PSC.jpg

Those look great D3!!  If you find you'd like a bit more heat on any of them try sprinkling a bit of powder on the individual pieces prior to drying.  The powder flakes will adhere to the meat and stick throughout the drying.  :)

Thanks, i might do a few extra spicy. Tried to keep it tame enough for my step daughter.

My wife went to store too late and the butcher was gone so had to hand slice them. Depending how the turn out I may just buy a meat slicer. There's some halfway decent ones for around $60

Got impatient and threw the meat on the smoker

two trays of peppered with the fresh crushed pepper

IMG_1583.JPG

Sweet chili with the serranos and smoked bonnet flakes. 

IMG_1582.JPG

In the smoker low as It will go over cherry wood. 
Top down

Sweet Chili
Peppered
Peppered
mesquite

IMG_1584.JPG

sirex said:
Ain't no problem w hand slicing. That's what i do.

You can throw the roast into the freezer for 30 min before slicing to make it easier. I never do but my pops used to.
I hand cut mine as well and i have been throwing it in the freezer for a few hours before i cut it and it makes it a lot easier.

Back