• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc It's not a pod! FFS

I vote we call ALL botanical berries berries - so squash, cucumber, tomato, peppers, etc... Petition grocery stores to categorize them correctly. (That also means that strawberries are not berries, just call them strawfruit.)

Although my son does call tepins "danger berries"

And it's chilE!

:)

Firstly we down sooth spell it chili or chilli because there's a country by the name of Chile. Secondly we are not Spanish speaking, hence an Anglicised version thereof.
Nobody says tomato pod or pumpkin pod etc. Why should a chili be referred to as a pod? It's a very tiny portion of the world that calls them "pods" - it seems to have started with Dave DeWitt and was then cemented by Neil Smith (Hippy Seed Company) and finds a comfortable resting place here. Check the CARDI factsheets - they correctly call me fruits berries.
Instead of pod just say " Check this chili (or chile)" or the gnarliest chili/chile. Why does it have to be referred to as a pod? We say apple - "Check this huge apple!" No-one says "Check this huge pod" when referring to apples. Nor does anybody refer to it by it's botanical appellation. We just call it an apple or cucumber or squash. So why not just chili/chile?

"Spelt and spelled are two different spellings of the past tense of the verb “spell.” The spelling tends to vary based on the version of English you're using: In US English, “spelled” is standard. In UK English, both “spelled” and “spelt” are acceptable."

ner ner ner

Since we can only use Anglicized names, let us see what the OED has to say about chi(l)i:

chillioed.png

oedohlalaled.jpg

And you trust the education system? Hmmmm I think you should watch Jay Leno's vids on the US education system on YouTube. It would be hilarious if it wasn't true. Just like South African policing (YouTube is your friend folks Big Time)

Firstly we down sooth spell it chili or chilli because there's a country by the name of Chile. Secondly we are not Spanish speaking, hence an Anglicised version thereof.
Nobody says tomato pod or pumpkin pod etc. Why should a chili be referred to as a pod? It's a very tiny portion of the world that calls them "pods" - it seems to have started with Dave DeWitt and was then cemented by Neil Smith (Hippy Seed Company) and finds a comfortable resting place here. Check the CARDI factsheets - they correctly call me fruits berries.
Instead of pod just say " Check this chili (or chile)" or the gnarliest chili/chile. Why does it have to be referred to as a pod? We say apple - "Check this huge apple!" No-one says "Check this huge pod" when referring to apples. Nor does anybody refer to it by it's botanical appellation. We just call it an apple or cucumber or squash. So why not just chili/chile?
The problem with using the word “chili” or “chilli” is that chili is a beef dish.

Pepper isn’t a perfect description either, as it could also refer to the unrelated black pepper.

Capsicum sounds too scientific for casual use.

The fruits from the most common types can just be refered to by the variety (jalapeno, bell, habanero, etc).

The problem with using the word “chili” or “chilli” is that chili is a beef dish.

Pepper isn’t a perfect description either, as it could also refer to the unrelated black pepper.

Capsicum sounds too scientific for casual use.

The fruits from the most common types can just be refered to by the variety (jalapeno, bell, habanero, etc).
Hmmm... 🤔 we do commonly use "citrus" for example, which is equally scientific...

And capsaicin sounds equally scientific and is maybe even more difficult to pronounce 😁 but is reasonably well known term I believe...

Back