• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It's this the norm?

Hello THP!!

I am a long time hydro gardener, first time pepper grower.

I am currently growing black scorpion tongue and I'm starting to get blossom set.

However, the leaves look strange to me. This normal? I'm growing in DWC. I'm feeding them cal mag, micro and bloom with root zone. EC is around 700-800ppm on the 500 scale. Ph is maintained at 5.8-6.1 reservoir temps are 68-72 Fahrenheit.

d7wu.jpg

For hydroponics, I've seen stuff like this sometimes. Not normal, but can be treated easily. Try to adjust the nutrient levels, add a little bit of calcium or something.

For hydroponics, I've seen stuff like this sometimes. Not normal, but can be treated easily. Try to adjust the nutrient levels, add a little bit of calcium or something.

I'm already adding calcium and magnesium at 3ml per gallon.

theliveculture said:
I'm already adding calcium and magnesium at 3ml per gallon.
The leaves won't correct themselves. New leaves won't be bent as much however. It could also be a nitrogen issue, or even that the light is closer than it should be. I wish I could tell you the ratios that I use, but it's just distilled water with fertilizers as I see deficiencies.

Yeah.. something does look off... and while I would have said Mg defficiency.... you say you have been feeding them ample Mg.  Could you be over-applying it?... because that actually looks a bit like some of the plants I accidently over-fed epsom salts to last year.  The symptoms on display are also that of the consequences of over-watering... but you are running hydro DWC.  Have you checked to make sure your airstones are functioning properly?  Are you doing bio buckets, which could foster some pathogens... and clog the airstones?

Yeah.. something does look off... and while I would have said Mg defficiency.... you say you have been feeding them ample Mg.  Could you be over-applying it?... because that actually looks a bit like some of the plants I accidently over-fed epsom salts to last year.  The symptoms on display are also that of the consequences of over-watering... but you are running hydro DWC.  Have you checked to make sure your airstones are functioning properly?  Are you doing bio buckets, which could foster some pathogens... and clog the airstones?

Air stones are about a month old, so they should be ok.

I'm running advanced nutrients in Lucas formula. Botanicare cal-mag. Maybe I could step up to 5ml per gallon.

Which advanced nutrients do you have?... because several of them already contain calcium and magnesium.  As i say... the more I look at your pic... the more it actually looks like magnesium toxicity.  So stepping up your dose could be a step in the wrong direction.

Which advanced nutrients do you have?... because several of them already contain calcium and magnesium.  As i say... the more I look at your pic... the more it actually looks like magnesium toxicity.  So stepping up your dose could be a step in the wrong direction.
I'm running jungle juice which is normally a 3 part system but I'm only running the micro and bloom. They call that the Lucas formula.

The grow only introduces more nitrogen than you really need.

I've been growing monster tomatoes with this same recipe but I cut the ppms in half.

Why would you cut thee ppms in half for tomatos and not for peppers?... IME tomatoes are heavier feeders than peppers for sure.  This could be your problem.  Try cutting back your ferts just a little.

Why would you cut thee ppms in half for tomatos and not for peppers?... IME tomatoes are heavier feeders than peppers for sure.  This could be your problem.  Try cutting back your ferts just a little.

Sorry, my English sucks lol.

I'm usually running 1400ppm on tomatoes and I cut it down to 700-800 for the peppers.

Ok... lol.. good.   Well... in the end it could just be genetics... is this a problem particular to this plant... or are you seeing it across all of your peppers?  I had a few plants last year that started to grow in a funky way and never really recovered.  I blame genetics when I have 200+ healthy plants and 3 or 4 that look "ill," when giveen the same treatment.

Ok... lol.. good.   Well... in the end it could just be genetics... is this a problem particular to this plant... or are you seeing it across all of your peppers?  I had a few plants last year that started to grow in a funky way and never really recovered.  I blame genetics when I have 200+ healthy plants and 3 or 4 that look "ill."

Honestly, only started one plant. I should maybe start a few more seeds.

Could it be that I started them on cal-mag immediately?

Also.. were they ever exposed to cold, wind, or extremely bright lights (as in exposure to HID lights without being adapted over the course of a few days with incremental exposures after being raised under floros?)

And if you are going to run nutrients in the first month of their lives, then you should definitley use at most quarter strength doses of whatever you are going to feed them.

Also.. were they ever exposed to cold, wind, or extremely bright lights (as in exposure to HID lights without being adapted over the course of a few days with incremental exposures after being raised under floros?)

I raise them under a 4' 6 tube HO setup. Always indoor with a climate controller holding optimal conditions.

Hmmm... I say give them a flush and resume your nutrient schedule.  I would not recommend increasing the amount of cal-mag you give them.  Double check to make sure you arent already double dosing them with cal and mag through your AN line being combined with cal-mag.  Make sure you have your temps and ventilation/air movement/circulation in check.

Sounds like I might have started feeding her to aggressively to early. I'll do a reservoir change and drop the ppms to high 600's and keep the cal mag at 3ml per gallon.
Hmmm... I say give them a flush and resume your nutrient schedule.  I would not recommend increasing the amount of cal-mag you give them.  Double check to make sure you arent already double dosing them with cal and mag through your AN line being combined with cal-mag.  Make sure you have your temps and ventilation in check.

Sounds good. I'm running 245cfm exhaust blower and use a fan speed controller to maintain 77 in the foliage and my reservoir temps are 68-71.

Also.... maybe start a few more seeds and see if the second plant doesnt grow better with less nutrients in the first month.

I don't see anything wrong. The buds are also a sign of a healthy plant. Then again I don't worry about my plant's leaves unless they are discolored or falling off. They might be slightly overfeed, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just try feeding them slightly less if you want. If you go too low, the leaves will discolor to yellow/white. I had the same issue and lowered how much I feed them too much. Now I've increased the amount more than before (the plants are older). Only one plant out of 4 turned white/yellow on me after decreasing the dose. It was a Carolina Reaper. I guess it likes more nutes. They will recover fast if you take care of it right away.

Back