• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Jack Link's "Sweet & Hot" Beef Jerky

Net wt. 25 grams

Ingredients:
Beef, water, sugar, salt, flavourings (includes celery extractives), flavour enhancer (monosodium glutamate),preservative (sodium nitrite), smoke flavour. 260g of beef per 100g of finished product.

Made in New Zealand
www.jacklinks.net

SUMMARY:

Texture: chewy.
Colour: seems artificially red
Flavour: more sweet than beef
Heat: hmm... not so hot.
Overall rating 4.5/10

To be honest, It's jerky for the masses. I did not really like this, and only bought it to compare my first batch of home made jerky to.

The jerk is cut with the grain of the beef, as opposed to across it, which makes the jerky tougher, and IMO not as nice.

The flavour is subtly sweet,, not over powering, more akin to white sugar, rather than brown or molasses.

The chilli flavour is not immediate (ie. weak) and took almost the whole bag to get any at all, and it dissipated within 3-5 minutes.

If you can't make your own, or lack the confidence, this product would just suffice. But look for another brand in the long term.

20070927060957_p_jerk.jpg

This stuff is sold just about everywhere around here. I've tried several flavors and its not horrible but as you said ring sting it sure isn't great.
They've got other types not shown above including some chicken versions

I had there chipotle one and I thought it was really nasty, texture wasn't too bad but the smoke flavour was like eating off a dirty bbq.

HAHA HAHA!! Dirty BBQ about sums it up!

Potawie, Yes, it's everywhere here, but probly due to MAD COW in US (several yrs ago) it is produced in NZ and shipped here and elsewhere in S.E. Asia.

Yet another example of a sub standard product flooding the world market (like my toaster that broke a week out of warranty).

RS

heres the usa link

www.jacklinks.com

I dont find their jerky that bad tasting, because I know theres alot more nastier tasting jerky & that are alot chewier for sale right next to the jack links products. I dont have a problem eating jack links products.

I like their "nuggets" better, they're more tender. A1 flavored nuggets is really good IMO, their buffalo chicken nuggets have no heat whats so ever & "ok" for flavor, I've treid their jalapeno version & "ok" but other than that their jerky is not a chilehead jerky by any means.

i kinda like the Pemmican Hot & Spicy Beef Jerky.

51kuJdDHzvL._SS500_.jpg

Has good flavor and decent heat, even has actual peppers on it. :)

like RS says the stuff we get in OZ is mnade in New Zealand so I wouldn't be suprised if it tasted different to the US product.
theres very little good quality jerky in OZ most down't even look like jerky more like a fruit roll up.....

stillmanz said:
most down't even look like jerky more like a fruit roll up.....

:lol: yea we have those kinds here too - very thin cardboard like jerky,very chewy & dry.
the next day after eating the bag of jerky your jaw is sore :shocked::lol:

As a product for the basis of future comparison, this jerky was ideal.

I felt particularly let down with it because it said hot and really wasn't.

If I thought it was good value for money, I would probably try more of their product. I just can't justify paying $3-$5 for 25grams for a product I feel is marginal ($120-200 a kilo, $60-100 per pound!!) considering I can make my own for much less.

ring sting said:
I felt particularly let down with it because it said hot and really wasn't.

welcome to the world of chilehead disappointment. I've also bought many things that have said "HOT" "SPICY" "EXTRA HOT" etc... only to be let down :(

i find that Jack Links is the worst jerky on the market.

You want good jerky with good flavor, seek out the Pemmican Jalapeno flavor. Not hot, but sooooo yummy.

Damn Good Beef Jerky has amazing tasting Hot & Spicy Jerky. It's not too hot, but the flavor makes up for it. It's kinda rough, but very tender and pulls easy. I love it but it gives me the craps now. :P Their Death by Jerky is also amazing. It's like the Hot & Spicy, but a lot hotter. It actually has heat.

You can go to their website and order some as I don't know if it's only sold around here since their factory is 10 minutes north of me.

They also have Zesty Habanero and Death by Jerky, but I haven't tried the habanero due to non-availability in stores around me.

http://damngoodjerky.stores.yahoo.net/zesty.html
http://damngoodjerky.stores.yahoo.net/deathbyjerky.html
http://damngoodjerky.stores.yahoo.net/hot.html

I do agree Jack Links is pretty bad, I always get bad fatty pieces that aren't chewable. I like their peppered jerky though. I much prefer damn good.

jack Links is pretty much the only jerky sold here locally. Sweet & hot was indeed a disappointment, the peppered version is better. Or you could do what i do and buy the original or teriyaki flavored jerky and add your own spice mix.

And if you buy the bigger packs of jack links 'premium cuts' you get better jerky at a lower price per gram :)

I have solved my jerky woes and make my own now. I rate it about 7/10. I know there's better, but I'm sure it doesn't come out of a factory by the tonne!

RS

Back