• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Jalapeno Golden Cayenne cross??

Last year I had a Jalapeno and Golden Cayenne plant in containers right next to each other. Both were Bonnie plants purchased from a big box store. Both plants produced well and I decided to save seed from them for this year.

Both batches of seeds had terrible germination rates. I never got the golden Cayenne to germinate and only got one jalapeno plant to popup. This plant was slow to grow but started producing pretty well lately. Now to the question…

The Plant looks like a Jalapeno, same leaves, color, structure, etc… The pods on the other had look like a mix of both. They are have the deep green of the jalapeno but are shaped more like a chunky Cayenne. The flesh is thinner like a cayenne and full of seeds. I only ate two that were not full ripe and they were very mild. Less heat than a normal jalapeno. The taste was similar to a jalapeno. My other peppers of the same age (Thai and Birds Eye) were also very mild at the time of tasting. This has changed in recent weeks so the initial heat of this cross might have changed with maturity. I will have to test a more mature pod.

Do you think this is a result of the bonnie plant being some hybrid and the second gen is showing mutations or did my Cayenne and Jalapeno make nasty talk last year?

Maybe they will turn Yellow when mature?? It will be interesting to see how these play out.
The pepper pictured below is 5” long and about ¾” across.

Any ideas?

Interesting... It's very possible that it's a cross between the two or like you said an f2 hybrid. Keep us updated.

Hey that's a beautiful cross if so.   Sorta looks like a Super Serrano.  I'd love to have those grow in my garden.

Too dark to turn yellow, I vote red.  Yes it's going to be similar to a serrano tho' probably a little hotter and sweeter when ripe.

Update on the Mystery Pepper....

I have refrained from pulling any peppers from this plant in the hopes of getting a full ripe pepper and to see what the color change will be. Its taking a long time for the peppers to ripen up. All other pepper plants have been producing rip pods for weeks now. This one is behind the other ones.

Changes are happening though. The peppers are getting grainy link mature jalapenos so im assuming the color change is just around the corner. They are also getting pretty large. 

The one pictured here is over 7 inches.

20140821_082426_zpsgovojt7z.jpg

20140821_082432_zpsr1dgh03s.jpg

I will post the final results when the suckers decide to ripen up..

Back