• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Jalapeno Harvest 5 Plants

This is some of the peppers from 5 of my Jalapeno Gigante Plants still have 5 plants to pick i would estimate 20 to 25 lbs of peppers here ,any idea of how can save these from going to waste i wonder if i could half them and put them into a vaccum bag and freeze them...?
JalapenoHarvest38-18-08.jpg

JalapenoHarvest28-18-08.jpg

JalapenoHarvest8-18-08.jpg

another idea is to make jalapeno paste...haven't ever made any myself yet...

Nice! Congrats on the harvest.

Pickle them, double bag to freeze, jalop poppers, make a powder or jalop flakes.

Sweet looking japelenos I guess you could freeze them or start choping and pickle a bunch of em and freeze the rest I love them pickled

The look really good and tasty. Good harvest. There are plenty of sauce recipes on this site, just browse them and remember that you can always substitute the peppers mentioned with your Jalas if you like the recipe and think it'd be good with Jalas.

peppermo said:
Great looking peppers!!! what kind of flavor and heat do your peppers have???

these seem to be a bit hotter than regular Jalapeno's i am not sure but they are about twice the size i will definately grow more of these jalapeno Gigante' plants next year also

Im growing Jalapeño gigantica..same variety id wager lots of heat its got to be good,Ill get some more pickling Jars i think :)

I used this recipe to pickle my Biker Billy's

CANNING RECIPE: Pickled Banana or Jalapeno Peppers
10-cups banana or jalapeno peppers
2-cloves garlic
4-cups white vinegar
2-tsp pickling salt

Pack washed peppers into hot sterile jars
Put 1/2 clove garlic in each jar
Boil vinegar & salt
Pack peppers in hot pint jars leaving ¼” headspace
Ladle hot liquid over peppers leaving ¼” headspace
Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic utensil
Put on caps
Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner
Best if left for 5-6 weeks before eating

makes 10 cups

Just slice the jalapenos into rings - great on top of homemade pizza

I added a touch of Turmeric -- just because I like Mrs Refeno's jarred peppers from the market and it has it in there maybe more for color?
Im letting the jars sit for 5-6 wks but it is hard

Very nice harvest!

Arrange a jalapeno eating competition, film it and upload @ youtube and show us :D

Back