• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

jalapenos sparking in the microwave

I put a chopped up jalapeño in the microwave and it sparked several times kind of like if you put metal in. A few spots (I think where it sparked) the pepper was scorched even though the rest of it was steamy and not that cooked. Is this normal? What is in the pepper that would make it do this? I hope I didn't get a contaminated pepper.

Check the jalapeno for metal shavings... especially if you were shaving metal.

Wait a minute... the bigger question here, why were you nuking a chopped jalapeno? :lol:

If there is not enough material in the microwave to nuke, then it will sometimes start roasting it's own internal parts. I think that 1 cup of material or so is the least you are supposed to have in it.....

And why the hell were you nuking fresh jalapenos?????

Could be chemical phenomenon much like peppermint Lifesavers....which really do spark in the dark when you bite them. Not that I am a chemist or other such smart guy.....my I.Q. is only 6...but I use ALL 6!
Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Could be chemical phenomenon much like peppermint Lifesavers....which really do spark in the dark when you bite them. Not that I am a chemist or other such smart guy.....my I.Q. is only 6...but I use ALL 6!
Cheers, TB.

I know off topic and all, but if you open a band-aid in the dark, where the package is separating will also glow. Not the band-aid part itself, but the papery wrapper part. Try it it's true.

Thread re-visited:)
I re-heated some poppers and rellenos in the microwave and had sparks. It only seems to happen when I leave the stems on, but I still don't understand why

with all due respect...

THE NEXT MOTHERPHUCKER WHO STICKS A LOVELY LITTLE PEPPER IN THE MICROWAVE, WILL FIND ME AT HIS DOORSTEP, READY TO EXECUTE HIM......

any questions?;)

cheezydemon said:
with all due respect...

THE NEXT MOTHERPHUCKER WHO STICKS A LOVELY LITTLE PEPPER IN THE MICROWAVE, WILL FIND ME AT HIS DOORSTEP, READY TO EXECUTE HIM......

any questions?;)

Yes. Do you always get so excited when people re-heat their meals in a microwave, and why are you yelling?:lol:

I found an answer, but I still wonder why the stem sparks and usually not the rest. I doubt there is more minerals in the stem but maybe its because its denser.

"According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, dense vegetables such as green beans, carrots, and green peppers have higher amounts of minerals than other food items. The minerals act like tiny pieces of metal and can create arcing effects in a microwave"
http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/Food_journey/15-2052-2949,27452.asp

SORRY! I GUESS......ahem....

I guess re-heating is "OK", (I still prefer toaster oven for most reheats that aren't coffee) but putting fresh cut jalapenos in the 'wave sounds like insanity to me.

Back