• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jalmundo.....

Very nice! The peppers in the third and fourth shots are at the point of ripeness I consider to be ideal.

I've got some harvesting to do tomorrow so I'll pull one and check it out. I normally like to take my jalapenos to full red but it'll be fun to compare.

I'm gonna get some started soon! Great for "dove poppers" for your guests that can't handle any heat! Big, plump, crunchy, sweet, and beautiful! :dance:

Bump. How did these taste? On my grow list for 2012 but trying to determine whether to grow more of these or Biker Billys.

The Jalmundos taste great, but not as hot as Bikers or M. I was hoping for longer pods, but they are more egg-shaped, so this limits their popper-stuffing. It could have been my growing conditions. I plan to grow a couple more next year, but will also try the 'Giant Jalapeno' offered on PepperLovers website for comparo. (Can never have enough jalapeno "meat" for poppers, salsas, pickling and powders.... :cool: )

The Jalmundos taste great, but not as hot as Bikers or M. I was hoping for longer pods, but they are more egg-shaped, so this limits their popper-stuffing. It could have been my growing conditions. I plan to grow a couple more next year, but will also try the 'Giant Jalapeno' offered on PepperLovers website for comparo. (Can never have enough jalapeno "meat" for poppers, salsas, pickling and powders.... :cool: )

Thanks! How hot/not hot are they compared to, say, a serrano or a store-bought jalapeno on a good day?

I find Jalmundo to be somewhat milder, on average, than a good strong Jalapeño M or Serrano. However, there is plenty of heat and flavor to suit me. The selling points of Jalmundo are its thick, crunchy flesh and the wonderful sweetness from their Bell Pepper heritage.

I grew Biker Billy side-by-side with Jalapeño M in 2009. I found it to be a nice large, very hot chile, but not noticeably hotter than the Jalapeño M, which grew to be quite potent that year.

This year I am growing the Zapotec Jalapeño from Peppermania.

Good assessment, WC. The Jalmundos do have the thickest flesh and taste great. Like a lot of jals, the heat can vary, but usually lower than a serrano. As far as store-bought comparison, I'll admit I won't turn down poppers when the wife-unit snags some of the large varieties and fills them with tasty fillings. The texture of large store bought can be pretty good but generally the heat is pretty low to non-existent.

Sidebar note: one jal I'm dropping from the line-up is the "Early." Mine produced a lot, but taste was really lacking, almost bitter even when fully ripe. And the blunt nosed pod just is uninspiring. Pods gotta look good when you cruise the garden.... :cool:

Back