• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Jamaican Hot Choc. same as Chocolate Scotch Bonnet?

Trying to narrow down my growlist for this season, and have seeds for both of these, but when I look them up, the names seem to be used interchangeably.

So what's the difference between them? I happen to have seeds for both that I received in a swap, but don't have room to grow them both this year, so I've got to pick just one.

So what's the difference between them? I happen to have seeds for both that I received in a swap, but don't have room to grow them both this year, so I've got to pick just one.

The answer as to whether they are different may depend on the source of the seeds. I too have noticed people marketing brown C. Chinenses as Scotch Bonnets.

The description of Jamaican Hot Chocolate on PepperMania suggests they are similar. However after searching for Chocolate Scotch Bonnet I can see there are now some that are depicted in photos with a bonnet like shape. None of my JHC pods had the shape of the later.

So is the Jamaican Hot Chocolate just a Brown Habanero then?

Check this thread for some info:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23071-jamaican-hot-chocolate-and-chocolate-habanero-diffrences/page__hl__%22hot+chocolate%22

JHC should produce earlier than habs and chocolate SB.

Cya

Datil

I love the powder, it has a smoky flavor even though the pepper is not smoked. I had the powder from Pepperfreak and it was my favorite of the ones he sent. Earthy, smoky notes, and hot! Would love some more of that stuff.

I powder both and prefer the chocolate, it's smokey/earthy and when combined with expresso powder mixed into a scratch brownie mix...
well just just try that one....... you'll think you "Died and Went to Heaven".................... :D

The Yellow Bonnets make for some nice pepper flakes or coarse ground chips........

Someone say Scotch Bonnets and Jamacian Hot Chocolate ??

2 very different birds ... the SBs have a slight fruity (some say apricot) flavor whereas the JHCs have a natural smokey flavor. The last 4 years that's all I've grown (expanding to 6-7 in 13')
If you like heat that rangers from about 125k to 300k+ these will do you wonders. I smoke this with applewood and it turned out to be a great combo for my tastes. Use these guys everyday.

peppers12a05.jpg

I powder both and prefer the chocolate, it's smokey/earthy and when combined with expresso powder mixed into a scratch brownie mix...
well just just try that one....... you'll think you "Died and Went to Heaven".................... :D

*homer voice* mmmmmmmmm chocolate..

Back