• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Jamaican Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Habanero diffrences

I have 2 of each going this year after reading this thread ages ago I was interested in both. In the end, different or similar, I'm sure I'll be please with all the brown pods! I'll try to remember to post a photo/taste comparison here as well.

I just ordered both of these. Looking forward to growing them out next year. So if I understand it correctly, the biggest difference between these two peppers would be the flavor right?

NTR said:
I just ordered both of these. Looking forward to growing them out next year. So if I understand it correctly, the biggest difference between these two peppers would be the flavor right?
There is no easy answer to this. What one person calls a choc hab (or choc jam) can vary genetically from what another is calling the same, yet they are loosely, genetically related.

"generally speaking" the choc jam is a little hotter and has vertical striations down the pod. Generally speaking, any pepper that has such striations down the pod is hotter than otherwise closest genetic relative without them.

Then there are dimples, or ripples, whatever... less and less smooth walls to the pod. The less smooth the hotter they are "in general".

As for flavor, it depends on exactly what you get. "In general" (playing odds again), the choc hab will be a little sweeter and the choc jam a little smoky/ chocolatier (if roasted, raw they may taste identical), but generalizations can't apply to two specific strains you have.

All you can really do is grow both and make your own decision to grow one again or move on to something else, OR, selectively cross breed two with the hope that you end up with the favorable qualities you want from both parent plants, but this may take several attempts and plants for years to come...

Reactions: NTR
NTR said:
:welcome: to T.H.P ! I grew te J.H.C.'S a few years ago , very tasty and great for cooking . thats the pepper used for jamaican jerk sauce . had 8 plants and i ended up with plenty of powder and frozen pods . still got plenty in the freezer .    :onfire:

Thanks for the replies and welcome guys! The reason I ordered both of these is because I couldn't decide which one would be better tasting. I grew out the regular red habanero and white bullet habanero this year, both of which I liked, especially the white bullet. I wanted to add a chocolate habanero to my collection and stumbled across these two varieties. Some people seem to like the (sweeter) Chocolate habanero, while others prefer the (smokier) Jamaican Hot Chocolate. I will just have to grow them out myself and taste them to see which one I like best. Can't wait until next season.

Back