• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Jamaican Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Habanero diffrences

so the pepper naming thing?

please allow the peppers are NORMALLY "given" a name by a grower

to help others that are 'getting' these or other seeds a degree of EXPECTATION of what the ____ they 'are'

{some one else please chime in if i ain't quite gettin' this correct}

maybe there is another criterium?

The way I look at it is that if it doesn't have the look of a scotch bonnet, then it's not a scotch bonnet. I was wondering the difference too since the so-called Jamaican chocolate scotch bonnet doesn't resemble a scotch bonnet. I'm gonna cross my chocolate habaneros with my red Jamaican scotch bonnet to see if I can get the proper morphology. Anyone know what they mix these peppers with to get the brown color?

Edit: the JHC don't look anything like habaneros. I'm not sure why they call them habaneros, lol. I'm gonna see how the chocolate habanero looks like I got from pepperlover. Lots of peppers are being called habaneros that don't resemble the proper morphology or taste.

My suspicions are people just append the word Habanero or Scotch Bonnet for marketing purposes. I noticed of late people labelling the JHC as a Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero.when it should just be Jamaican Hot Chocolate.

My suspicions are people just append the word Habanero or Scotch Bonnet for marketing purposes. I noticed of late people labelling the JHC as a Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero.when it should just be Jamaican Hot Chocolate.

Ahh, I didn't catch that with my abbreviation. Jamaican hot chocolate is a good name for it. I think people are ridding the fame of habanero for marketing reasons too.

Edit: here it's being labeled as a scotch bonnet! http://thechileman.org/results.php?find=scotch+bonnet+chocolate&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search I keep seeing it listed as a scotch bonnet too.

so the pepper naming thing?

please allow the peppers are NORMALLY "given" a name by a grower

to help others that are 'getting' these or other seeds a degree of EXPECTATION of what the ____ they 'are'

{some one else please chime in if i ain't quite gettin' this correct}

maybe there is another criterium?

Well, when one grows a scotch bonnet, one expects a certain morphology at the very least. I think a lot of the namings we have are very misleading. All the new colors and such are from crosses and who knows by what, lol.

My chocolate habs look identical to mad hatter's pics above, and as others have mentioned, are hotter than holy hell. They are, to date, the hottest pepper I have consumed raw. Keep in mind I have not (and probably will not) consume anything claimed to be hotter, but I have had bhuts and mine were not as hot as my chocolate habs. YMMV.

My chocolate habs look identical to mad hatter's pics above, and as others have mentioned, are hotter than holy hell. They are, to date, the hottest pepper I have consumed raw. Keep in mind I have not (and probably will not) consume anything claimed to be hotter, but I have had bhuts and mine were not as hot as my chocolate habs. YMMV.

Hmm, wonder if anyone has tested their heat. They grow real slow like a superhot! Did anyone else have a lower germ rate in comparison to other peppers? I can't wait until my chocolate habs fruit even more now! I'll have to compare them with the bhuts I have growing.

I've met many non-chileheads from Europe, Africa, and India, and they all refer to chinense-type chiles as "scotch bonnets" regardless of origin or shape of the pod (except the long shape). I think we have to accept that it is a widely used common name for non-elongated chinense pods. Unless we want to try to convince millions of people they are using the wrong name. I'd personally rather they were all called "______" Scotch Bonnet, than "_______" Habanero. Sorry if this is further going off topic?

The guy to contact is ajijoe. You can find him in the vender section.. Not sure he does trade's but It never hurt's to ask. And welcome to The Hot Pepper...

Hey there, first post on this message board. Thanks for all the good information on the differences between JHC and Choc Habs. I am growing both this year. Profile pic is a JHC. Differences I've found are JHC peppers are here already and I'm still waiting for the Choc habs. Some of the JHCs look like a hab, but some are much more elongated. Will have to update on taste when they are ready!

My JHCs are chinense and have medium green immature fruit, not dark, but not as light as what mtnbke has pictured as an avatar either. The pods are slightly smaller than the typical hab (I have never seen a Choc. Hab in person though) and while they do go through a ripening phase where the brown has a tinge of red to it, when fully ripe they are completely brown.

The fruit has a slight smoky flavor quality to it and seems to average roughly 500,000 SHU.

+1 although its not always marketing, its just easier to say hab or bonnet than Capsicum Chinense
Chocolate habs are usually black/brown congos from the Caribbean, where Habaneros are specifically from the Yucatan peninsula area of Mexico

[To avoid sidetracking the Bond-0-My-Jack thread, I'm adding Jamaican Hot Chocolate discussion here.]

Nigel said:
Jamaican hot chocolate . . . They taste slightly similar to Orange Habs, but with a smokiness, richness and deep earthiness.
Sounds pretty excellent.

I've tasted JHC only at the orange stage (because that's as far as my 2013 pods ripened.  Seeds are viable, though.)  What struck me aside from the profound heat was the absence of a certain flavour, what I've labelled the "Chinense skunk", that can be sensed in habaneros and most intensely, I've found, in datils.  I'm not picky—I eat much more broadly than the American industrial norm—but somehow I'm sensitized to the C skunk, finding it'll just dominate even a rich, complex sauce.

Anyway, earth and smoke are flavours I'd tend to associate with browns, so maybe those come on in the dark, ripe phase.

2ccrshz.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Plant, 2013 – RIP, and may your progeny live on.

The plant heroically came roaring back from being decapitated, defoliated completely, as a seedling to be a vigorous, fast-growing, heavy producer.  I was impressed.

I am growing Chocolate Habs this year but I am more excited about the Trinidad Black Congo peppers that I am also growing. 

Looking forward to comparing the two peppers

I just dropped my overwintered JHC into the ground saturday. I only got like 3 pods off it last year but should e a monster this year! And those few pods are still in my freezer sadly enough cause i suck.

Choc hab and Choc Jamaican are closely related.  Choc Jamaican does take on a reddish hue when changing from green to brown, but will be completely brown when fully ripe.

I'm not pointing fingers but a lot of pictures I've seen on the internet are called one or the other the wrong name.

Choc. Habanero have smooth walls, look just like any other hab except for being brown.  If there are a lot of, how do I write it, indentations and vertical ribs or the surface isn't smooth, then it isn't a choc. hab, rather a choc. jamaican or something else.

Choc. jamacians are hotter than choc. habs, around 600-750 SHU.  You do have to wait until they are fully ripe to get full flavor, although personally I like the sweetness of peppers that ripen red more than the chocs.  Towards this end I have selectively grown hybrids that have choc origins but the dominant red color and flavor took over and that's why I'm still growing them.

I grew both, side by side, last year. I honestly could not tell them apart for shape, size, flavour, heat or the plants growth habits. Mine were nowhere near 600-750k SHU, either. 300-450k tops.

It is entirely possible that there are a number of different strains around masquerading as either Chocolate Habs or Jamaican Hot Chocoate Habs

To me,Jamaican Hot Chocolate are different than any of the chocolate hab versions going around.

REAL Jamaican hot chocolate pods are usually smaller than a lot of chocolate habs.
Most times they are more uniform in heat, smell ,shape size and taste.
They are on the low end of the hab. heat scale-for a chocolate.

A lot of the larger habs are bitter.

The bigger ones can be so bitter you can't eat them.

I think the Jamaican hot chocolate is sold from seeds that are really a hab.

Buy a lb. of chocolate hab seeds,sell them as Jamaican hot chocolate,chocolate hab. , giant chocolate hab. , Brown hab.  or whatever.

I'd consider Jamaican Hot Chocolate as one of the Scotch Bonnets that are hab. looking.
We argue about what is a Scotch Bonnet or hab., ignore that , in Jamaica they call bonnets bonnets while we argue if their stuff is a bonnet or?/hab/annuum(squash pepper is bonnet/mushroom shaped).
Keep the name the same as the seeds were labeled,if from the Country of origin.
Don't re name them because you think they don't look right.
Might boil down to Landrace seed stock.

Back