• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jamaican Red mushroom ripening time

i have a jamaican red mushroom and it has its first flush of pods on it now(about 20) various sizes, but it has been a couple weeks at least since the biggest ones have seemed to stop growing but have not started to change colors. does anyone know the time length it takes for the mto ripen? does it depend on tempurature? here in Sd its been in the mid to low 70's and hoepfully getting upper 70's low 80's for the next 5 days. here are a couple pics from 8/14/11
IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

i know i have to be patient but these pods were the first to show up and well still waiting to try one!

The Jamaican Reds I am growing take about a month to ripen. This year it might be more like 3 weeks as it has been "wet" and warm this year. It has been around a high of 90 here lately. And rained a little every day for most of July. If I were to guess they should start turning red any day. Where did you get the seeds for those, and how are they? I have never heard of them but they look awesome and we love the Jamaican reds that we have going. Great flavor.

Nice pics! Lets see more when they turn red.

Very nice looking plants, it seems like it takes forever for them to ripen, those pods look mature and ripening is just around the corner. I've grown the "squat mushroom" in the past and when one starts to ripen all the rest are right behind, all at once. Word of advice, pick'em all at once to promote a bumper in the fall.......good luck!

Thanks guys! I got the plant as a seedling in may, an this has a nice canopy with about 20 pods! I have not eaten a pod yet so I am very interested in trying a ripe.one. everyday I come home.and the plant is right in from of.my chair so I just sit and check them out!

Back