• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Japanese Takanotsume

Hi Guy's

This is a Japanese Capsicum annuum variety I grew in 2022 I believe its the hottest Japanese variety they have approx 30,000 shu also known as "Hawks claw" upright pointing chillies.

I was impressed with this variety good yield nice heat great crumbling pasta dishes nice flavour 😋

20221004_095313.jpg

Mine had quite blunt tips were as a plant I gave to a friend had much sharper tips.
20220727_144010.jpg
20220804_142249.jpg
20220808_145629.jpg

20220808_145643.jpg

Nice compact plant I'm planning on growing it again in 2024 in a 5 litre Kratky hydroponic bucket.

I believe the japanese only use it as powder and as I understand it pull the whole plant invert and dry the whole plant and chillies before harvesting the pod's !

Stephen

Last edited:
That is the only pepper I have grown this year.
I had 5 but a bad storm took out three a few weeks back. Of course, my biggest and best ones because they caught the wind so well. But I still have one good one and one that got bent badly but is still hanging on. I usually grow goat peppers but none sprouted this year.
Kratky is the only way I grow anymore here in Florida.
Just went out and took this video. Still a bit windy today.

Jdee

I'm growing Takanosume again this season and it's doing better than my Ring of fire at present strong , vigorous plants........even in my cold little Scottish greenhouse !

It has impressed me regarding it's strength and vigour plus its compact nature, I'd recommend it to anyone to try :thumbsup: pleasant flavour too

Stephen

Great on burgers and in stir-fry
I like that they are small and work so well in just a Kratky 2 qt. container.

Sorry your plants got clobbered @Jdee. The two that are left look great. It's still morning, but I've already learned something today - how to pick up a full-sized hydro tomato to replace/replenish nutes. Never really thought about it before, but I am impressed, lol! Thanks for sharing.

Hey @Englander this is a beautiful plant! Hopefully I get to grow it at some point!

Something that I noticed and wanted to ask about: from my perspective it looks like there are multiple fruit per node-could this be a C. frutescens type?

Back