• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

JayT's Hurricane (Matthew) Party

Looks as though this Hurricane is not going to hurt us as bad as predicted. Major league rain and heavy winds, but so far the power is on. I have decided to treat this just as I do the blizzards we get here and drink heavily and cook lots of food. On the menu, Defcon wings, fajitas, and chili beer, boxed wine, vodka and tea, and a little Apple Pie Moonshine.

Hurricane Preparedness Materials:

1000968s.jpg

1000969n.jpg

1000961001.jpg

1000963y.jpg

And, the food:

1000962001.jpg

1000960z.jpg

The chili was made with a mix of fresh and dried chillies, thank you again Scovie.

1000965g.jpg

1000966d.jpg

1000967a.jpg

More to come as the party continues...

I figure since we are having a Winter hurricane right now in the NE, and I will be home with my kiddos the next two days, this would be a good thread to revive.  Feel free to post what you want, bitch about the weather, post food, booze, pics of snow, booze, whatever you like.  It is currently 3F with wind chills around -25.  We only got a brief snow shower last night, but it was impressive.  Thunder snow that put down about two inches in about 40 minutes.  Now it is just blowing like crazy.  Gusts overnight near 50mph.  Probably about 35-40 still now.  

I'll contribute hopefully. I'm off the next 2 days with the kids as well. It's about 1 degree outside the winds are starting to die down but it still sucks! I'm thinking some grilled cheese and soup sounds good today.

For all you down south, doesn't this look appetizing? Sorry the snow is blocking out the beautiful Palm trees in this pic :)

JayT said:
He is probably picking it up at Kroger!  :lol:
Ding ding we have a winner! I've got some Hopslam, nugget nectar, brew free or die, and Sierra Nevada torpedo. I should be ok for now but you never know.

Let's bump this thread. It made it up to about 4 frickin degrees today with a wind chill of -12 right now and I'm none too happy about it. That is until I started cooking what I consider food to warm the soul. Soup and grilled cheese makes everything better!

It starts with homemade minestrone....

And progresses to a double stack grilled cheese with bacon...

It is now up to 1F from whatever the hell below zero it was overnight.  I am NOT going out there.  Time for a bloody mary and a pot of chili.  I made a batch of my Scovie powder.  He sent me a big box of dried chiles a year or so ago, so I name the blend of Ancho, Negro, Guarillo, California, New Mexico, and Pasilla, after him.

I think this may be an all day affair.  Luckily I have lots of beer.

102_0021.JPG

I'm thinking the same.  Mine are all cold, I have them in the garage.  Chili has begun.  I just love the smell of smoked sausage in the morning.

102_0022.JPG

102_0023.JPG

102_0024.JPG

102_0025.JPG

102_0027.JPG

Chili in progress.  Browned the sausage and the deer burger, added the first dump of powder, the onions, chilis (fresno, Bulgarian carrot, and cayenne), tomato paste and cooked for a bit, then a couple beers (for the chili).  After a few more minutes, I added crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and a can of black beans (because I like them), and letting it go for about six beers.  I'm just estimating, I will let you know later.

Very nice...I think the crap(snow) were about to get in Ohio is headed your way tonight, enjoy! 

Keep the chili hot and the beer cold....

Back