• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jazzman's 2014 Glog

Hey Everybody!

so last year was my first year growing peppers, and i had a blast throughout the season with what quickly became a large collection of pepper types.

This year, for Christmas, my parents surprised me with a triple tiered growing unit! this inspired me to up my game and attempt to grow tons of different pepper types. I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by friends and family that have accepted the eccentricity that is pepper growing :P

So, without further ado, i give you... the new grow shelf!

This grow shelf has given me (what i hope) is plenty of space for a few plants from all the varieties that i want to grow, and with the potential to add on to these varieties should i be drawn into purchasing more seeds (cause lets face it, we all start conservatively and next thing you know you have 20 more varieties than you thought you'd have, and no place to plant them - not that id be upset with that! haha).

The grow trays that i purchased each house 72 individual plugs (which i plan to fill with 8 different types (i.e. 9 seedlings per variety), and there are 4 of these units per shelf. This leaves me with 32 varieties per shelf, and two shelves decked out in this fashion. The third shelf i plan on using bigger planters (with only 32 plugs per unit (x4) - 128 plants; considerably less than the other shelves ;) haha) for one of each variety to test maximal indoor growth on season productivity, and to have some other non-pepper plants that I've been wanting to try to grow.

I posted my grow list in my Glog last year, but here it is (so far!):

From Jim Duffy (Refining Fire)
1.     Congo Black Habanero 
2.     Jamaican Chocolate Habanero
3.     Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorpion
4.     Trinidad 7 Pot Primo

From TradeWinds Fruit
5.     Paper Lantern Habanero
6.     Tobago Seasoning Pepper
7.     Manzano Pepper
8.     White Habanero
9.     Padron Pepper
10. Jamaican Hot Chocolate
11. Bahamian Pepper
12. Thai Pepper
13. Flaming Icicle Pepper
14. Black Habanero
15. 7 Pot Barrackpore

Seed packs i picked up last year
16. Long Red Cayenne
17. Marconi Rosso Pepper
18. Hungarian Yellow Sweet Banana
19. Pimento Pepper
20. Pepperoncini Italian Pepper
21. Early Jalapeno
22. Hot Lemon Pepper

Last year's seeds
23. 7 Pot Red
24. Scotch Bonnet
25. Devil’s Breath
26. Caribbean Red Habanero
27. Naga Jolokia
28. Chinese 5-Colour
29. Red Habanero (grocery store)
30. Filius Blue
31. Black Pearl
32. Crimson Red Pepper (grocery store)
33. Chocolate Habanero
34. Orange Habanero
35. Purple Flash
36. Naga Bhut Jolokia
37. Nepali Orange
38. Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
39. Portugal Hot Pepper
40. Alternate Ghost Pepper
41. Burning Ember

Last year's Tradewinds order
42. Scotch Bonnet Red
43. Trinidad Scorpion
44. Filius Blue (original Seeds)
45. Chocolate Fatalii
46. Peach Habanero

Megahot (Jon's) Seeds
1. Carolina Reaper
2. 7 Pot Bubblegum
3. 7 pot Douglah
4. 7 Pot Brain Strain

Zantrax's Seeds
1. Atomic Starfish
2. Peter Pepper
3. Yatzy pepper

Ill try and keep posting pictures and updates this year - i really enjoyed looking back at my pictures from last year :)

Happy growing everybody!
-Ben

haha oooh i plan to! I've been taking my time getting everything set up because i don't want to plant out too early and have a bunch of really root bound plants that i don't have room to pot up. I've got a tentative germination start-date of February 9th-11th, since this canadian winter is getting ridiculous lol.

Also, I'm hoping that even if i don't have the room to plant everything out, any Chiliheads on here from around my area would be interested in taking the extras off my hands. 

ALSO ... the grow shelf has such a good story attached. A friend of my mother was thinking of selling it to get a dog crate for their new puppy, and my mom had one lying around so they just traded. i don't know about you guys, but i think i got the better end of that trade!!

maybe thats the peppers talking though... haha

Yeah Canada's gonna give you a late plant out. But some of those superhots can take a long time to germ. Seems alot of the folks around here plant early rather than late.

I'd definitely say you got the better end of the bargain.

So I'm trying to organize these shelves out, and after making sure that I've got all the varieties that i have seeds for right now and know i want to plant, it seems i have some extra room :P

heres the two shelves in layout:

Is there anything that anyone can think of that i SHOULD grow that i don't have on the list? and if so, any potential sources - buying isn't out of the question :)

Note: each of these variety tags has 9 plant plugs involved in each one lol. just so's you know.

Thanks for viewing guys, and happy growing!

Nice list! Don't have much experience with alot of the varieties yet. Wondering though, are you planning on starting chinenses first and annuums a couple weeks later? Could affect organization of your shelves.

Alot of folks around here seem to start their chinenses around the start of the year, then the annuums two to four weeks later, then their tomatoes a week or two after the chinenses if not at the same time. Not sure about the niceties of the cold cold supernorth, but yeah, that's the rough timeline.

Its been a while since I've posted an update, so here it goes:

ive planted out just about everything that i wanted to plant out, but I've still got some space if i feel that something hasn't worked out - which I'm pretty happy with so far. 

This is the whole setup. As you can probably see, I've added cue cards to each tray to identify a couple different things about the plants they contain, such as the planting date (so many plants that i had to space out the days i planted over a couple weeks), what i soaked the seeds in and how long, and generally any interesting things i think id like to remember later on. 

This is the first shelf, and things are looking good so far. 

There are a couple things that I'm a tad disappointed in so far, but I'm still holding out hope that it all works out. The first is the lean that most of the outside seedlings are doing. I realized that the light is gonna mess them up a bit when they grow towards it, so I'm trying to think of ways to stop this. The only promising one I've come up with is just turning the trays 90 degrees once a week or something to minimize the bend the seedlings will have.

The second thing I'm a tad disappointed in so far (but am still holding out hope for!) are a couple seed varieties i got from Jim Duffy. I bought Congo Black, Jay's Peach Ghosts, 7 Pot Primos, and Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds from him. While the Jay's and the Primos seem to be germinating alright, there has been absolutely no sign of the Congo Blacks or the Jamaican Chocolate. 

Any ideas on if those varieties take longer to germinate? I've yet to have a single one pop up and i planted them out Feb 4th, and soaked in water for 6 hours ahead of time.

Anyways, thats my current progress - ill keep you updated!

- Ben

Update on the Jim Duffy seeds - i emailed him to ask about the seed germination rates and he got right back to me and offered to send replacements! ill definitely be doing business with him again in future.

Ok, so its been a while since I've sent an update in here.

Firstly, as my grow progresses, I'm getting close to succumbing to the "oh sh*t, i planted too much" mentality haha. Its so easy to look at all those little seed-starter trays and say "YEAH!!! fill those bad boys up with plants!"

Needless to say, the plants have been growing rapidly, and now I've had to pot up some of them to thin out the canopy so that some of the later ones get enough sunlight.

Still lots of fun though!!!

Im hoping that plant-out comes sooner than later - if these guys keep getting bigger I'm gonna have some space problems. I guess that keeping them a little root-bound and cramped is less of a problem than having them not be big enough to plant out when the time comes, but still.

Ok, so here are some pics!

After repotting a bunch, this is the grow and all the plants laid out. Seeing it compared to the previous seedling pictures makes me pretty proud of all the plants I've germinated.

Here are all the repots on the ground: there are some Thai Chilis, Pimiento De Padrons, Peach Habs, Black Habs, Orange Habs, Orange Manzanos, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpions, Caribbean Red Habs, Red & Yellow Scotch Bonnets, Chocolate Bhuts, Flaming Icicles, Peter Peppers... and the List goes on!

My favourite one to look at right now is the Orange Manzanos - the leaves are all hairy compared to everyone else!

...And finally, this is after i shoved all the repots back into the grow shelf. Its getting pretty crowded in there!

Im hoping to get a detailed list going over the next few days of all the varieties I've got going on. With this many plants, I'm thinking I'm gonna have some space issues. 

Currently I've got two friends from work that have offered up property to plant out these beauties, so that should take care of the majority of them. After that, I'm renting out a few garden plots in my area so that i can keep some of my favourites nearby :) I'm also moving into a new place, and they have a small garden in their backyard, so thats gonna be crowded :P

Overall, a great start to the season, and i can't wait to continue on!!

Hope everyone else's grow is going well!

-Ben

P.S. - Ive also gotta give a shout-out to Drew1226 for sending me some fantastic seeds! they are all germinating through pretty well, and I'm excited to see them all grown up! 

Hey all,

so i really fell off the grid this year by the end - my apologies, it got very tough to get the energy together to take pictures, work, and keep the grow going strong. i figured that uploading some of my pepper pictures from this year would help soften the blow... so here you are!!!

here are some of my favourites as they turned colour and grew at my house

for the number of plants i grew, i didn't have the best season - but i did get enough peppers to make my roommates a little upset with the limited freezer space lol. 

meanwhile, on my parents' home front, they had a stellar harvest on the 12 plants i gave them. here are some pictures of the plants and the harvest that i got from them at the end of the season:

my absolute favourite image from the harvest :)

finally, the sad ending to the season. the few plants that i could keep are huddled around a sliding glass door in my kitchen. This other picture shows how my plants that i couldn't save dealt with the snowfall we had.

Back