• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Jeff H said:
Good to know Rick.

Any idea how to make it shelf stable without making it excessively sour? I know it can be done because I've bought it before, and that hippie ferment my wife bought was shelf stable. It would be nice to make a bunch of this stuff and regular sauerkraut and just pop them in the pantry. 

The only way I know of is to kill the lacto-bacteria. You could Pasteurize it, which would at least partially cook the kimchi and destroy the crunch, or add sodium metabisulfate to the brine like the winemakers do. It produces sulfur dioxide gas that kills off the micro-organisms without cooking the fruits/vegetables. I just make it in small batches and eat them up fairly quickly.

Devv said:
I'm pulling for success!

Thanks Devv, but  don't think it was meant to be. All of them are in the garbage now. 

Here is a pic of them back when they were just transplanted. 
20131029_195357.jpg

They lost most leaves under the dome but it was so humid they started to show signs of growing roots everywhere but the soil. 

20131029_195426.jpg

They went from looking like that to a dead stick when I took them out of the dome after at least several weeks, but I was getting impatient and needed the room for seeds. 

I do have a theory though. I might just have used growth that was too old to readily sprout roots. So here is try #2. This is a ghost and a monzano clone from growth within the past few weeks under the lights. This pic is several days after I put them in the perlite and they aren't dead yet.  :pray:
20131121_191126.jpg

stickman said:
Everything's looking good Jeff... the Manzanos and Rocotos are finicky to start, so if you got one going, you're doing well. The good news is that if you can get one to fully sprout, they do pretty well at basement temperatures. Good on Bodeen for sharing some of his smoked powder... I'll bet it's killer!

I'm definitely interested in the outcome of your hydro grow this winter... I'll be keeping an eye here to see how it goes. Cheers!

Try one failed after 3+ weeks but try 2 has a red rocoto hook already after a little more than a week.  :party:  :party:  :party:
20131121_191217.jpg

Bodeen said:
All is looking well.

thanks

Penny said:
Looks good so far, well done. ;)

and thank you too. 

In closing, here is a shot of some of the hydro plants. 
20131121_191149.jpg

3 big plants, from the bottom, Bhut, monzano, paper lantern. The little ones are a Jigsaw, Indian carbon, Naga Morarch and a basil clone. 

Every other plant is doing decent and surviving. 

I do see an occasional fungus gnat around since they really never left the house over the summer because I always had plants inside, but for now they seem well under control. When I see one,  usually see him in the fly paper later that day and it is comforting to know that all of the water I am using is being treated with mosquito dunks to kill the larva. 

I've been through my seed stock a few times and I think I finally have the list for next year's hot pepper grow. I'm growing fewer varieties, but more plants of the favorites. I don't think you can have too many bhuts, habs and jalapenos, but you certainly can run out of you don't have enough planted.

The Butch T was on the list until the last minute when I checked my freezer and saw I still have 4 1 gallon bags full of pods from this year, and 9 full jars of AJ's puree. I don't think I need any more scorpions this coming year. Sad, they were beautiful plants and I have two clones in the windowsill.

I have a 1/2 dozen spots left in the garden that need to be filled still with something other than super hots. If I don't find anything else interesting, I'll just plant a few more jalapenos and Big Jims to fill the spots.

Chinense
TSBT
Bhut Jolokai
Indian Carbon
Naga Morarch
Reaper
Jigsaw
Paper Lantern
Caribean Red  

Pubescens
Monzano
Red Rocoto    

Baccatum
Bishops crown  

Frutescens
Tabasco
Bradley's Bohemian  

Annuum
Big Jim
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Hot wax
Red Thai
Cayenne
Jamacian Mushroom

stickman said:
Nice list Jeff! Have you thought about wilds or other Aji varieties like Aji Pineapple or Aji Lemon?

Well, like I said, I have about a half dozen open spots and I am contemplating new varieties so, Sure, I am open to the idea. What do they taste like? Heat level?

Jeff H said:

Well, like I said, I have about a half dozen open spots and I am contemplating new varieties so, Sure, I am open to the idea. What do they taste like? Heat level?
The Ajis I've tried have all been fruity, floral, or both at the same time. The names of some are descriptive (like the Aji Pineapple and Aji Lemon), which should help a little with choices. They tend to be moderate to medium in heat... about like  a Jalapeno or a little more (Bishop's Crown is an exception). They do very well up north if you start the seeds early enough. I got big bushes from mine in the first year, and they tend to be big producers too.  I haven't grown wild varieties yet, but will be planting some "bird chiles" next year The dried pods I've tasted tend to have a nutty, complex flavor and are Freakin' Hot!

Nice list and congrats on the Red Rocoto standing up. I'm on my second round of trying to get some pubes going, finally today a Red Rocoto was hooking without a helmet.

I'm also trying to clone some cuttings from mature plants, not doing as well as when I clipped the second plants from store bought 6 packs.

stickman said:
The Ajis I've tried have all been fruity, floral, or both at the same time. The names of some are descriptive (like the Aji Pineapple and Aji Lemon), which should help a little with choices. They tend to be moderate to medium in heat... about like  a Jalapeno or a little more (Bishop's Crown is an exception). They do very well up north if you start the seeds early enough. I got big bushes from mine in the first year, and they tend to be big producers too.  I haven't grown wild varieties yet, but will be planting some "bird chiles" next year The dried pods I've tasted tend to have a nutty, complex flavor and are Freakin' Hot!
You got me thinking of adding more Baccatum in general. I did a little research and decided to add Aji lemon and Brazilian starfish to the list. That will round out the list for this season.

Devv said:
Nice list and congrats on the Red Rocoto standing up. I'm on my second round of trying to get some pubes going, finally today a Red Rocoto was hooking without a helmet.

I'm also trying to clone some cuttings from mature plants, not doing as well as when I clipped the second plants from store bought 6 packs.
Thanks Devv. I peeked in the rockwool cubes last night and noticed two more red rocoto hooks. :dance: Hoping that they sprout with helmets. :pray: :pray:

Bodeen said:
Budapest makes a great stuffing pepper.  Mustard hab, Jaques, and St Barts are good too.

Nice list!!!
Those Budapests look great, but I already have a bunch of Big Jims and Anaheims on the list and they are traditionally my stuffing peppers. Maybe I'll look into them for the following year.
The list "should" be finalized for now.

Chinense
TSBT
Bhut Jolokai
Indian Carbon
Naga Morarch
Reaper
Jigsaw
Paper Lantern
Caribean Red  

Pubescens
Monzano
Red Rocoto    

Baccatum
Bishops crown  
Aji Lemon
Brazilian Starfish

Frutescens
Tabasco
Bradley's Bohemian  

Annuum
Big Jim
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Hot wax
Red Thai
Cayenne
Jamacian Mushroom

Very nice list. Looks like you have the flavor and heat profile covered. Best of luck in 2014 and .....................

Gobble Gobble  :fireball:

Edit: I think you need a nice chocolate variety. Maybe a Douglah or Choc Bhut. I have many choc varieties if you need any. 

Update time. 

Naga Morarch
20131201_134455.jpg

Indian Carbon
20131201_134513.jpg

The same two but these are in the flood table. 
20131201_134656.jpg

This Bhut Jolakai was nothing but a stick when I started this glog. Now look at it .
20131201_134711.jpg

Paper lantern. Has buds and about to start flowering
20131201_134731.jpg

Another ghost. this one has open flowers. I should have winter peppers in a couple of months.  :dance:  This is about all the bigger I want this plant to get this winter so I'll be trimming it for sure or it will take over the grow space. 
20131201_134752.jpg

Jigsaw
20131124_161544.jpg

Red Rocoto
20131201_134538.jpg

You know how 3 cots is pretty rare, well I have 3 plants right now. Take a look at the next two pics. Especially the two reapers in the same rockwool cube. Weird. 
20131201_134552.jpg

20131201_134606.jpg

romy6 said:
Very nice list. Looks like you have the flavor and heat profile covered. Best of luck in 2014 and .....................

Gobble Gobble  :fireball:

Edit: I think you need a nice chocolate variety. Maybe a Douglah or Choc Bhut. I have many choc varieties if you need any. 
Hmmmmmmmmmm, good thought. Choco bhut would fit in nicely with the other bhuts on the list. :D 

I was not a fan of the chocolate hab that I tried a couple of years ago so I haven't really looked at chocolates since that experience. 

megahot said:
Lookin great Jeff and very nice list there! Keep up the good work
Thank you. Trying to get a well rounded garden this year. Last year it was almost all superhots. Scaling back on those this coming year. 

Bodeen said:
My Anaheim never had any heat to them.  Jim either.  That is how I got switched over to the Buda and the Biggie.  They are all very similar peppers.

Good point. Anaheims aren't really known for their heat. How hot would you rate them?
Devv said:
Was out of town, here's hoping your Thanksgiving was enjoyable!

Thanks for stopping in Devv. Yes, Thanksgiving was enjoyable, and filling. Hope yours was too. 

Plants look great Jeff!

I had one plant last year with three cotys, I think it too was a Reaper.

They are rare, wish they made the adult plant show some of the characteristics, like three true leaves forming..

Have a great week!

Jeff H said:
Hmmmmmmmmmm, good thought. Choco bhut would fit in nicely with the other bhuts on the list. :D

I was not a fan of the chocolate hab that I tried a couple of years ago so I haven't really looked at chocolates since that experience. 

Hi Jeff,   Hope your T-day was an enjoyable one... Your OW plants and seedlings are looking great! You must be giving them at least some nutes, because they're bigger than mine. I've got flower buds too, but not open flowers... good on ya!

I grew a Douglah and some Choc. Habs this past season, and I find the flavor is much improved if you smoke them lightly with cherry wood first before drying for powder or making sauce with them. They're much tastier in sauce... especially if you add enough other veggies like onion, tomato and garlic. Experiment with them... I'm sure you'll find a flavor you like.

stickman said:

Hi Jeff,   Hope your T-day was an enjoyable one... Your OW plants and seedlings are looking great! You must be giving them at least some nutes, because they're bigger than mine. I've got flower buds too, but not open flowers... good on ya!

I grew a Douglah and some Choc. Habs this past season, and I find the flavor is much improved if you smoke them lightly with cherry wood first before drying for powder or making sauce with them. They're much tastier in sauce... especially if you add enough other veggies like onion, tomato and garlic. Experiment with them... I'm sure you'll find a flavor you like.

Rick, everything in the basement is hydroponic this winter. The "soil" plants are in 50/50 peat moss and perlite and the hydro plants are all 100% perlite (and a little algae.....) I'm using a weak hydro nute solution to keep them growing, but not exploding with growth. Also, you can't compare that one pic of the soil ghost that has open flowers. It was cut back to a stump a month earlier as an experiment to make sure cutting them back that far wouldn't kill them. 

I've heard enough about Douglahs to discourage me from growing them. No need to go out of your way to grow a crappy tasting pepper and I don't like most habs in general (with a few noted exceptions) especially the chocolate so if I am growing one this year, it is either a chocolate scorpion or a bhut. 

Jeff H said:

Rick, everything in the basement is hydroponic this winter. The "soil" plants are in 50/50 peat moss and perlite and the hydro plants are all 100% perlite (and a little algae.....) I'm using a weak hydro nute solution to keep them growing, but not exploding with growth. Also, you can't compare that one pic of the soil ghost that has open flowers. It was cut back to a stump a month earlier as an experiment to make sure cutting them back that far wouldn't kill them. 

I've heard enough about Douglahs to discourage me from growing them. No need to go out of your way to grow a crappy tasting pepper and I don't like most habs in general (with a few noted exceptions) especially the chocolate so if I am growing one this year, it is either a chocolate scorpion or a bhut. 

It's all good Jeff... go with what you know. :)

Back