• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff's Glog- 2015 edition.--In the dirt

Here we go again. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Starting a little later this year. Right now, just some pubes. Supers in a week or two and the rest of the crew in Feb sometime.

20150111_133836.jpg

Since the glog is pretty boring at this point, we'll get it off to a good start with some good food. Blackened chicken and dirty rice with jalapeno poppers.

20150111_183914.jpg

Jeff H said:

Round 2 is so so. Here is a few pics. I did the paper towel thing and every single seed I put in dirt had sprouted before it went in the dirt. Out of about 20 seeds, here are the only plants that sprouted, and  don't really think they look like they are thriving. We'll see.

On the flip side, I did join the AeroGarden crowd with this new purchase. Arrived today from fleabay. Got a good price on it, but after I purchased the seed starter kit and a new light, it wan't all that good of a deal. :rolleyes:

I specifically bought it because the wife was jonsing for some fresh herbs, so I wanted to grow some, but I think I will keep a few spots open and pop a couple of the pubes in there just to make sure they are doing all right.

For you aero garden guys, the instructions said to add nutes every two weeks and to top off the water.....They make no mention of changing the water. Sounds strange and I probably won't really follow this recommendation.

Also, where to get more of those sponges cheaply? I was thinking of just cutting up a few rapid rooters I had laying around. Don't see why taht wouldn't work. I can't see ordering them from aerogarden each time I need some. that will get expensive.

Well, 4 out of 20 isn't a great ratio, but it sure beats zero...  I think the biggest threats to Pube seedlings are fungus and aphids. If you can get them past those hurdles they should be golden. :)

Do you have any rockwool laying around? It would be an interesting experiment to compare how seedlings do in several growing mediums in the Aerogarden... say the sponges that come with the unit, rapid rooters and rockwool...

Continued success Jeff!

Congrats on the Aerogarden score.  Jamie recommends swapping the
water out every so often.  I agree, just to keep it nice and fresh.  But I'm
not a fanatic about it, and didn't have much gunk in it last year, but we
live in a different climate, so that may  make a diff.

Those Bishop's Crowns will be huge!  

I agree about the appearance of the new sprouts.  Maybe it has to do
with the cycles of the moon.  Some folk swear by it, and only plant
seeds accordingly.  I've dabbled with it, and am not sure if it made a
big difference, although I have noticed a few occasions when the
germination seemed to happen really fast.  Look up work by John
Jevons - How to Grow More Vegetables  He has a pretty good
explanation of the theory.

P.S.  I ordered a bag of sponges from Aerogarden, and it will probably
last me four years since I only use it in the Spring.  I think your idea is
right on, though, you could make them out of anything.

stickman said:

Well, 4 out of 20 isn't a great ratio, but it sure beats zero...  I think the biggest threats to Pube seedlings are fungus and aphids. If you can get them past those hurdles they should be golden. :)

Do you have any rockwool laying around? It would be an interesting experiment to compare how seedlings do in several growing mediums in the Aerogarden... say the sponges that come with the unit, rapid rooters and rockwool...

Continued success Jeff!

I think I do have some rock wool cubes left around here somewhere. Good thought.

On the pube count, there is 3 in the Aerogarden that have sprouted, and at least 4 that look like they will likely live in dirt. Add in my O/W, and if everything lakes it through the winter, I should have as many pubes as I was  planning on . :pray: But, since I have the aero garden... might as well try a clone or two. My wife doesn't really need fresh herbs quite yet. :halo:

Devv said:
Glad to see cotys!

You're off and running and I'm glad to see it.

Thanks Scott.

PaulG said:
Congrats on the Aerogarden score.  Jamie recommends swapping the
water out every so often.  I agree, just to keep it nice and fresh.  But I'm
not a fanatic about it, and didn't have much gunk in it last year, but we
live in a different climate, so that may  make a diff.

Those Bishop's Crowns will be huge!  

I agree about the appearance of the new sprouts.  Maybe it has to do
with the cycles of the moon.  Some folk swear by it, and only plant
seeds accordingly.  I've dabbled with it, and am not sure if it made a
big difference, although I have noticed a few occasions when the
germination seemed to happen really fast.  Look up work by John
Jevons - How to Grow More Vegetables  He has a pretty good
explanation of the theory.

P.S.  I ordered a bag of sponges from Aerogarden, and it will probably
last me four years since I only use it in the Spring.  I think your idea is
right on, though, you could make them out of anything.

Appreciate the info Paul. This little thing is pretty cool.

Well everyone, I'll get some pics up over the weekend, but in a nutshell, onions hit the dirt yesterday. I just filled an entire nursery tray with dirt and sprinkled a ton of seeds out. Two different yellow storage onions and one red onion.

Annuums hit the dirt this weekend (they have been in a damp paper towel for a week so some may have germinated already). Tomatillos too. I'll fill a 72 cell tray with the annuums for sure.

beerbreath81 said:
Nice list, lots of poblano's. Are we gonna see that new aerogarden in action over there?

I learned last year that no matter how many poblanos and anaheims you grow, it will not be enough.

In the next photo update this weekend.

PaulG said:
Nice layout, but I'd forget the ones in the
fourth column from the right.
They probably won't grow for you.

HAHA, those weren't even the grow down seeds, those are just the regular small orange thais.

PaulG said:
BTW, will you grow all those out, or select?

I should be able to grow about all of them. The Annuum bed is 4'x20' so if I square footed it, I could fit 80 plants, but I already have garlic and soon onions around the perimeter so I think 60-70 will fit nicely. That and we'll have to see what actually germinates and survives the next 3 months until the Mother's Day plantout date.

Jeff, you can either use a whole rapid rooter plug (they fit in the holes perfectly) or cut them in full-height quarters and they will fit in the aerogarden baskets. I'm on day 31 with my aerogarden and I've done both already.

Jeff you have good luck square footing peppers before? I'd thought about giving it a try with peppers. Did it with Cucumbers last year and the damn monster bush plant thing about consumed the entire world on me.. sucked all of the nitrogen clean out of the soil 3' around the mass of vegetation in every direction. Was weird seeing pepper plants nearby turn near-white from nitrogen starvation, and grass just up and die on me in the yard on the other side.

No matter how much fertilizer I used those cukes in that mass just kept soaking it all right up.

Got a pretty frigging monster harvest too, I put down 24 quarts of pickles, gave a metric ton of them away fresh, and still had a bunch rot at the end of the year after I ran out of places to give 'em to.

Would be interesting to see something similar with peppers - although I'd wonder how much one would have to fertilize a dense patch of them, because there's no way the soil alone is going to keep up with demands.

ribbedturtleneck said:
Jeff, you can either use a whole rapid rooter plug (they fit in the holes perfectly) or cut them in full-height quarters and they will fit in the aerogarden baskets. I'm on day 31 with my aerogarden and I've done both already.

Thanks for the info. 1/4 of a rapid rooter is what I was thinking was about right.

TrentL said:
Jeff you have good luck square footing peppers before? I'd thought about giving it a try with peppers. Did it with Cucumbers last year and the damn monster bush plant thing about consumed the entire world on me.. sucked all of the nitrogen clean out of the soil 3' around the mass of vegetation in every direction. Was weird seeing pepper plants nearby turn near-white from nitrogen starvation, and grass just up and die on me in the yard on the other side.

No matter how much fertilizer I used those cukes in that mass just kept soaking it all right up.

Got a pretty frigging monster harvest too, I put down 24 quarts of pickles, gave a metric ton of them away fresh, and still had a bunch rot at the end of the year after I ran out of places to give 'em to.

Would be interesting to see something similar with peppers - although I'd wonder how much one would have to fertilize a dense patch of them, because there's no way the soil alone is going to keep up with demands.
I put mine in at 15" spacing last year and seemed to work well. Chris Joyner does sq.ft. garden with his peppers every year and his results speak for themselves.

I was just planning on putting a decent amount of Tomato tone down when I planted out the garden and then keep an eye on them for additional nutes.

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking great Jeff! I to can't wait to see the aerogarden in action. Good luck bud!

Glad to see you back for another season Adam.

Pulpiteer said:
Where did you get your Orange Thai seeds from?  I got mine from Tradewinds this year. They are pretty cool peppers, I made a sriracha out of them once. I know it's not the right pepper for that, but it worked pretty nice.

I got mine from Buckeye pepper last year.  grew them last year. Nice thai pepper.

Shots from yesterday.

So after about a week in the aero garden, 3 out of 4 peppers have sprouted, but haven't really grown. Now, keep in mind that I just followed the aero garden instructions and didn't do anything else. Do I finally checked the pH and is was way the hell out of whack at 3.6. Put in some pH up, but it was taking too much to get it right so I dumped the whole reservoir, washed it again and filled it. Adding the nutes I have always used for hydroponics gave me just the results I was expecting so I am happy.

20150214_162643.jpg

20150214_170827.jpg

20150214_163401.jpg

Here is a couple of the pube sprouts.

20150214_162704.jpg

20150214_162657.jpg

Annuums are all in the dirt. Almost exactly the same list as  posted above, but with a couple minor changes. I'll post an updates layout of the 72 cell seed starter soon. They 2nd tray in the back is all onions.
20150214_170810.jpg

And the obligatory food pic. Friday night dinner.

20150213_190816.jpg

Dinner looks great!

As do the sprouts, glad they're popping for you.

How's that Stratocaster? I see it's a USA model ;)

What are you using to check the pH?  I've just started paying attention to mine, and I'm using a pH meter you use for cooking and canning, but it's out of whack, I think.  I may be looking for a new one at some point.

Devv said:
Dinner looks great!

As do the sprouts, glad they're popping for you.

How's that Stratocaster? I see it's a USA model ;)
Thanks Scott. Yes, the new Strat is a USA one. I think I've reached a point where I just want fewer but nicer things. If I ever decide I just have to have a Les Paul, it will have to be a Gibson. Nothing else will do. Of course, that is a much more sizable investment than a Strat. :shh: Also, buying used lessens the blow to the wallet by about 30% so that never hurts.

Pulpiteer said:
What are you using to check the pH?  I've just started paying attention to mine, and I'm using a pH meter you use for cooking and canning, but it's out of whack, I think.  I may be looking for a new one at some point.
Mine is a Hanna pH meter. I use it for canning and sauces too.

stc3248 said:
Best of luck this season Jeff!

Glad to see you're still poking around Shane. I guess you're freezer is still full? I noticed you said that you weren't planning on growing much this year.

Final list of Annuums actually in the dirt. . Note there is only a slight change from what was posted earlier.

Annuum%2Btray%2B3.JPG

We'll see...I think I may grow out a few I am trying to stabilize along with the growdown plant. Work will have me busy and leaving in the middle of the best harvest times.

Small update.

The 3 year old Bhut didn't waste any time putting out buds.
20150222_200626.jpg

Some Baccys just doing their thing. 
20150222_200736.jpg

Aji and the MOA
20150222_200910.jpg

The habs.
20150222_200825.jpg

This is it for the new supers this year. Probably plant two of each and the 1o/w bhut. Still way more than I can ever use in a year .
20150222_200946.jpg

Damn the rocotos are slow..........

20150222_201028.jpg

Onions are doing their thing quite nicely. No idea how many this is. A couple hundred probably.
20150222_201042.jpg

Hopefully the annuums will be far enough along by the next update to get included. There is only 8 or so of the 72 that have sprouted from the original batch after 7 days. Strangely, no sweets yet so my seed stock might be aging and need to be replaced.

Back